Empty Property

Empty Property

10:47 AM, 27th July 2015, About 7 years ago 5

Text Size

I wonder if you can help me , my mother lives in a road where their is a property which has been vacant for the last thirty years . I have contacted the Land Registry and have obtained a copy of the title deeds . This has resulted in me writing a letter to the registered owner assuming they are alive. The property is all boarded up ( Metal) on the windows. Empty Property

It has been a couple of weeks now and I am not sure what to do next as I would be interested in purchasing the property and getting it up and running again.

Any suggestions



Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118 View Profile

10:47 AM, 27th July 2015, About 7 years ago

Hi Kathy

Have you tried speaking to your local Council?

Somebody must be paying the Council Tax, if not the Council may have taken possession or be on the verge of doing so.

The Council will not give you personal details of the owner but if they have an empty homes officer then he/she might well be able to help in other ways.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Paul Franklin

12:27 PM, 27th July 2015, About 7 years ago

Good on you Kathy, though unfortunately I have no bright ideas. If the local council don't have a dedicated empty homes officer they should at least have someone or a team that has responsibility for dealing with them. They may already be in contact with the owner but as Mark says they should not just give out personal details. If the owner is particularly illusive unfortunately it would be very difficult to get anywhere with it, that's where the Council's powers to take over control of it, rather than simply offer to should come in - it's just whether they have the desire and resources to do so.

David Sanderson

13:19 PM, 27th July 2015, About 7 years ago

Hi Kathy,
definitely contact your local council's Empty Property Officer. They may be aware of the property.
Another option is to engage a tracing agent to pin down the identity and location of the owner.


Good luck


15:02 PM, 27th July 2015, About 7 years ago

Check the Land Registry details in case there is a mortgage company or bank with a charge on the property - if so someone somewhere will be paying for it. You can also try and send a sealed envelope to the occupier via the mortgage company with a covering letter.
Try a free 192.com search if the registered keeper has an unusual name. They may have moved but not updated the Land Registry details for that property.
Post a letter to the property as it may have the Post Office forwarding stuff to them.
Is there a company or tradesman sticker on the boarding up - someone might be paying a fee for the boarding up or even slip up and give you the details of their client.
And final - try google with anything you can think of - I have found out loads of stuff which is in the public domain which is available if you look (from a missed call number I found out some ones name and address.... from a Gumtree ad!!!
Good luck

Paul Tarry

21:03 PM, 27th July 2015, About 7 years ago

On Heir Hunters recently they featured a property that had been empty for a while (2 years ?) the owner had died and had no apparent relatives, they found relatives so the estate could be wound up and the property sold

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now