EICR – Rogue electrician scam?

EICR – Rogue electrician scam?

9:59 AM, 4th December 2020, About 2 years ago 77

Text Size

I hired an electrician for an EICR, which he failed and said it needed a new consumer unit to pass EICR, which I agreed, and he completed the job and issued a “satisfactory” EICR.

It only raised my suspicions after I subsequently gave him EICR for two more properties (almost new build), which he failed and said needed new consumer units for both again.

After looking into his three EICR reports with other registered electricians, I found the same reason he used to fail EICR for lack of RCD is not valid (which should be C3 as a recommendation, not C2 as dangerous) and he’s not even a registered electrician to install consumer units.

So now I ended up with a new consumer unit that I never needed in the first place to pass EICR, and two other failed EICR for invalid reasons.

What’s my best action here?
Should I pay him?



Share This Article



21:48 PM, 4th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Just to remove any confusion, I am not the Mike who originally posted this post, I am not sure how this website made it possible to have two users with a same name. I posted at 19.21.

Paul landlord

22:19 PM, 4th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by terry sullivan at 04/12/2020 - 19:31
If you use your head you will realise that an electric flat will more often than not require more electricians time than a 2 bed gas house.

There are a lot more circuits on an electric flat and a lot more potential issues to deal with.

I have 38 properties over 28 years. I'd rather EICR my gas houses than the electric flats any day of the week' substantially quicker and easier.

Been sparking since the late 80s and registered since the badly written Document Part P became a requirement.

£129- as I've said many times you pay peanuts you get monkeys. In 5 years time when your next inspection falls short good luck in any recourse with the cowboy that passedit through the first time- his Stetson will be on his head and his spurs have shot his horse way out into the sunset.

It's a minefield to the uninformed and that is a fact and just another example of lack of government understanding of situations stitching up landlords.

My advice to everyone. Do a bit of homework first and intertwine that with some commonsense that we should all possess.

Paul landlord

22:36 PM, 4th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Ray Lancaster at 04/12/2020 - 15:03
If done properly a replacement consumer unit isnt 2-3 hours.

Done according to document part p the installation needs inspection and testing for circuit compliance before any work (basically an eicr). Then depending on circumstances you looking at half a day to change board and another few hours on gaining new test results (rcd uplift for example will change previous Zs reads.

Then 2-3 hours generating an 8 page Electrical Installation Certificate, EICR and building control cert.

And the 80 quid units (or cheaper) are only 17th edition ammendment 3 compliant, not 18th edition compliant and shouldnt be fitted. Id have my ass kicked by my registration body if i got audited fitting one of those. Ensure a type 2 SPD module is incorporated into a suitable board (that means forgetting your cheapo screwfix populated boards) that adds another 80 quid.

So 2 days of work effectively and by the time you finished 170-180 in materials and you think 500 quid is expensive????

Some people want everything for nothing and they make me sick especially when they obviously dont have a clue what they talking about.

You heard the saying 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'? It cerainly applies on these threads

Paul landlord

22:42 PM, 4th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Mike at 04/12/2020 - 19:21
Ha good luck with that one- some people make my a*se laugh!!!

Paul landlord

22:55 PM, 4th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Beaver at 04/12/2020 - 15:20Under the badly written 'Document Part P' there is such a thing as Third Party Certification. I am registered as a TPC inspector to oversee your workmanship and then inspect and test and sign for it.

So the simple answer to your question is yes

However I dont do this as most who think they know what they doing actually dont. You will save a few hours of the inspectors time but most generally have that time eaten back up by putting the DIY errors right.

Bear in mind if I sign your work as being to building control standards im responsible for it and any incidents for the next 6 years and if i missed something you slipped past me in my error.... I'd rather be able to sleep at night knowing I'd done it properly in the first place. I just never have used my TPC after I found someone building two new builds was making a hash of it with cheap unskilled labour as well as a guy id sacked months earlier for incompetence!! I walked off the job no charge- dont need that aggro


7:32 AM, 5th December 2020, About 2 years ago

You will find his work will not comply with building regs either, as an installation certificate for the consumer units needs to be lodged with your council building regs department. If he is not qualified to install you have a problem

Ray Lancaster

9:04 AM, 5th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Paul landlord at 04/12/2020 - 22:36
I’ve had consumer boards replaced in some of my properties.
Landlords are paying for the EHICR report before being charged £500 for the consumer board on top. So that comes of your 2 days work. 3 hours for that. I am talking about 18th edition all metal consumer units. These are compliant £80-£100. My point was that some electricians are trying to make you replace a consumer unit when it doesn’t need to be upgraded to the 18th edition unit as It is a nice earner for an electrician. The paper work doesn’t take hours to do once you have installed the board.
I think you are just trying to justify the cost.


9:56 AM, 5th December 2020, About 2 years ago

I am an electrician and landlord.
To be very clear, no one is allowed to replace a consumer unit or add a new circuit, or do anything in a bathroom unless you are skilled.
The definition of skilled is to have relevant qualifications.
As pointed out by Paul, it takes more than a morning to do a consumer unit properly. I generally take a whole day.
You should not be using anyone who does not belong to a competent person scheme such as Napit or NICEIC. These schemes guarantee their members work, so if something is wrong, they will sort it for you.


13:37 PM, 5th December 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Ray Lancaster at 05/12/2020 - 09:04
So when ordinary people are struggling to buy food, they have to raid food banks, they cannot afford to pay higher rents, some can't even pay any rent as they may have lost their jobs to Covid, and we have bunch of professionals like electricians, plumbers, and gas safe engineers taking advantage of their so called skills and qualifications and choose to rip off landlords who in turn are forced to put rents up to make up for losses, and to meet forever changing regulations, now you can see why rents are high and landlords are accused of profiting , but quite simply if landlords costs increase they have to put rents up, it is the end user who suffers the most and that is the tenant bunch.

So a qualified Electrician takes a good day to change a consumer unit, and charges £500 for it, a gas safe engineer changes a boiler and charges around £1000 labour, and does it it in a day as well, so now we tenants can see why rents are so steep. There is no regulation regarding professionals charging any rate they want, like I said a reasonable charge would be around £250 to change a CU.

If my maths is correct, if an Electrician or a Gas safe engineer earns £500 a day, and is kept very busy due to demand, his potential earnings are going to be 500 x 7 days =£3500 and in a year minus say 2 weeks holidays he has earned an insane £175,000 income whilst an average Joe blog earns under £35K.


13:46 PM, 5th December 2020, About 2 years ago

The exact same thing happened to me when I had a new kitchen fitted and not my usual Electrician was fitting the electric oven. He advised me that I needed a new consumer unit, but the electrician that did the EICR said that it was totally not necessary. He even checked this with the regulatory body. It would have cost me £500.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now