Damp having a serious affect on our tenants

Damp having a serious affect on our tenants

13:06 PM, 7th April 2017, About 6 years ago 4

Text Size

At one of our BTL Property, we had some wall damp issues (apparently caused by outer wall/ roof) and have contacted the managing agent/freeholder around 5-6 months back and have been constantly asking them to do the rectification work.

They are not denying to do the work,  but also not giving us a timeline. Every time when we call them to enquire about the status, they are ready with one excuse of not sending their builder.

This damp has been causing serious effect on our tenants who have complained us many times.

We are finding ourselves in helpless situation.

Please let us know if we have some options!!




Neil Patterson

13:08 PM, 7th April 2017, About 6 years ago

Hi Sunil,

If this has become a health and safety issue it cannot be ignored. I would inform your Landlords insurance and the Freehold Block policy and let them force the managers to take action before a much more serious claim is made.

Gary Nock

10:32 AM, 8th April 2017, About 6 years ago

Sumil - you say "apparently" caused by wall / roof. You need to establish that it is definitely a structural issue which falls within the terms of your lease for the freeholder to repair. There is a Housing Disrepair Protocol on the Leasehold Advisory Service:


It may be helpful if you describe the type and location of the damp, and whether you can see any dislodged roof tiles, external wall damp patches etc. Also consider is it damp or condensation caused by tenant lifestyle. Do they have electric heating or gas central heating? How big is the property? How many people in it? All these things can give you an indication of what the cause may be.

steve gilbert

9:09 AM, 10th April 2017, About 6 years ago

From the photo that almost certainly looks like damp caused fro high ground levels outside, also by the shape of the tide mark it only looks localized. Just a thought but have a look outside and see if some earth is piled against wall, or look up directly above to see if down pipe or gutter is leaking. I know this does not answer your question but if it is a really simple cause ( which I think it looks like it is) do it yourself or get someone to sort, cost you £30 odd quid and so much less of a problem

Paul Green

12:08 PM, 11th April 2017, About 6 years ago

Most specialists damp proof companies offer a free written estimate. Arrange one and send the report to the persons responsible for rectifying the issue. This way your be sure of the cause and the action required....Good luck.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now