Current Occupant with no AST – help!

Current Occupant with no AST – help!

13:23 PM, 6th August 2015, About 7 years ago 8

Text Size

I had a tenant on an AST and he had his girlfriend subsequently move in. He has since moved out (they have split up) without letting me know, but she remained in the property and has not paid any rent and it has been approximately 3 months now!no ast

What are my options? Opinions appreciated!



Neil Patterson View Profile

13:28 PM, 6th August 2015, About 7 years ago

Hi Rob,

When did you know the girlfriend had moved in?

Obviously had you known she should have been added to the AST straight away.

I really do think now you need to save money by paying to get the experts in tenant eviction in. Please see >>

Robert Rivers

15:09 PM, 6th August 2015, About 7 years ago

Hi Neil,

she moved in a few months after the tenancy start, although the explanation given, was she stayed the odd night.
The first i knew of his departure, was as a result of not receiving the housing benefit payment and my subsequent enquiries with the council, which were prompted by my inability to contact him.
During a visit to the property and following discussions with the girl, she assured me that she was eligible for housing benefit and would apply. This she has done, however the claim has not been authorized, as she has failed to provide the information they require.
I can't decide if i should persevere with the process or am i best having her removed. She also has a baby a few months old.

Ross McColl

15:16 PM, 6th August 2015, About 7 years ago

Have you ever received any monies from her, or did it always come form the tenant? Did you ever confirm in writing that you accept her as a tenant or similar? When setting up a housing benefit claim the council normally require a tenancy or proof of rent in the claimant's name.

Robert Rivers

15:24 PM, 6th August 2015, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Ross McColl" at "06/08/2015 - 15:16":

No Ross, never had any connection with her or received any money from her.

Ross McColl

16:29 PM, 6th August 2015, About 7 years ago

I would there fore assume no tenancy of any kind and treat her as a squatter. Serve a section 21 and only name the person on the tenancy. Serve a Section 8, only naming the person on the tenancy. Give her 48 hours to get out to try and scare her. Contact her ex partner if possible and tell him that all the time she is still there he is liable for the rent and the will be pursued for the monies owed unless he gets her out now. If possible get it in writing from him that he never gave her authority to stay there. Did he ever give notice in writing that he was leaving?


10:50 AM, 7th August 2015, About 7 years ago

Treat her as a squatter and inform her court action IS going through as that alone may be enough to chase her! I beleive the laws have recently tightened up against squatters but best check.

11:17 AM, 7th August 2015, About 7 years ago

She needs to be told she is occupying a property illegally and HAS to move out

9:31 AM, 8th August 2015, About 7 years ago

Get an Interim Possession Order, form N130

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now