Universal Credit Advice For Landlords

Universal Credit Advice For Landlords

15:44 PM, 10th February 2017, About 5 years ago 39

Text Size

Universal Credit Advice For Landlords

Universal Credit Advice for Landlords

We are delighted to welcome Sherrelle Collman from Caridon Landlord Solutions as our expert source of Universal Credit and Housing Benefit  Advice and Information.

Over the coming weeks and months, Sherrelle will be sharing case studies which I am sure will strike a cord with landlords involved with benefit reliant clients.

The first of these cases relates to the often too familiar issues of direct payments to landlords. What should be a straightforward process can become tortuously complex when LHA staff fail to adhere to regulations, DWP guidance and Upper-tier Tribunal judgements, binding on council’s and tribunals alike. Landlords have rights and Sherrelle guarantees to help you to make sure they’re exercised.

Example provided by Sherrelle

“Our PRS client approached us as their tenant was paid the Housing Benefit 3 times despite a request for direct payment to the landlord being submitted to the Local Authority, due to the tenant’s vulnerabilities and high risk of the tenant misusing the payment.

The tenant failed to forward the payments to the Landlord and fell into arrears.

The landlord contacted the Local Authority Housing benefit department to check the progress of the claim, He was advised that the claim was being assessed and advised to call back within 10 working days.

When the landlord called back he was advised that 3 payments were sent to the tenant and would continue to be sent to the tenant as they are unable to suspend the payments.

He contacted CLS for assistance as he did not know what to do next, we immediately contacted the Housing Benefit Department to request for the claim to be urgently suspended.

After liaising and making a series of complaints to the Housing Benefit Department we managed not only to get the payments redirected to the landlord but also secured Landlord compensation for the missing 3 payments.

He was awarded £1065.34 in compensation and now has the guarantee of future payments being made direct, removing the risk of rental loss.”

If you’ve encountered similar issues Sherrelle would really be interested in hearing about them, either via the comments section at the foot of this page or the contact form below if you would prefer to consult Sherrelle offline.

Contact Sherrelle for offline Universal Credit advice

Sherrelle is an independent consultant and is recommended by Property118 for landlords who require professional advice and assistance in regards to dealing with Universal credit related matters


by Robert Mellors

14:16 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Hi Sherelle

If you can link up potential HB/UC tenants from the expensive areas (mainly the South East) where they cannot afford to rent anymore, with the "hard to let" properties in the Midlands/Yorkshire/North East, AND sort out their HB/UC claims to ensure that rent is paid, then I am sure you will capture a massive market, and have thousands of landlords seeking your services. (and presumably, lots of LA housing/homelessness departments).


14:26 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

That's exactly what I have been doing.
I have moved a number of tenants that are affected by the benefit cap to Birmingham, the problem is with all the bad press regarding UC a lot of landlords now don't want to house benefit reliant clients.
That why the I believe the service that I offer is invaluable.

by Robert Mellors

14:35 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Hi Sherelle

I have properties available in Maltby, South Yorkshire, if you have any tenants wanting that area?, and I know other landlords with vacant properties in that area, that would/do accept UC tenants.

I tend to advertise vacancies on the DSSMove website, but I don't think tenants "down South" think to look at what is available "up North", so tenants down South are missing out on lots of far more affordable properties, e.g. 3 bed houses with gardens front and rear for £450 - £500 pcm.


14:38 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Robert Mellors" at "13/02/2017 - 14:35":

I will look into this.

Please feel free to call me.

by Robert Mellors

15:06 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Sherrelle Collman" at "13/02/2017 - 14:38":

Hi Sherrelle

I have decades of experience of dealing with letting agents and every one I've ever dealt with (so far) promises a lot and then fails to deliver. However, this may be because very few understand the HB/UC market, particularly when problems arise, and of course it does not really harm them if the tenant fails to pay the rent or smashes up the house etc, it is always the landlord that has to suffer the consequences. I would happily pay for good service, or specialised services I cannot do, but it grieves me to pay for crap service (or work I could have done much better myself). If you actually have tenants wanting properties in Maltby, then I will happily consider letting them via yourself, but if you are in Croydon, how will you actually manage the properties (you can't exactly "pop in" to chat to the tenants, or view the condition of the properties, etc)?


15:16 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

As the Caridon Group is growing, particulary in the area of CLS we are looking to have more satilite offices around the U.K.

We currently have offices in Croydon, Horley (ESSEX) and Crawley.

by Robert Mellors

16:36 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Sherrelle Collman" at "13/02/2017 - 15:16":

Hi Sherrelle

So I presume it is a full letting and management service that you offer in those particular areas, but more of a "tenant find" service that is offered nationwide (but with the back up of your expertise in dealing with the UC/HB claims)? Plus of course the UC/HB/ HB clawback, services being offered separately to the letting service (as used and recommended by Mick Roberts).


17:36 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Our property company Caridon Property Service offer a full guaranteed rent service which they will be offering the service Nationwide over this year.
CLS offer a Tenant Find service with additional support on UC and HB.

Feel free to contact me for a chat.

by Robert Mellors

18:40 PM, 13th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Sherrelle Collman" at "13/02/2017 - 17:36":

Thank you Sherrelle, I will contact you by email or phone to discuss further.

by Lyndon Whitehouse

14:09 PM, 19th February 2017, About 5 years ago

Hi all,
Welcome aboard Sherrelle!
As Mark is aware, I also specialise in HB tenants and have done for 15 years. ( although I am gradually reducing my exposure to benefit tenants because of UC ), So I have invested a considerable amount of time in making good contacts with local housing benefit teams. In fact all of my staff have received training provided by Wolverhampton City Council.
I have been to numerous meetings over the past few years, where DWP staff have been present to discuss UC.
These people are all nice folks who operate from local Job Centres. However, when we encounter problems, it isn't these people that we deal with, it's faceless people in call centres who do not know that when a fixed term expires on an AST the contract does not end!!!
I currently have 7 people claiming UC and all bar one have had their tenancy agreements rejected because they have expired!!!!

I am booking two places on your course Sherrelle on 23 March, that's a 340m mile round trip, but it looks like we may do some business in future!

Lyndon Whitehouse
L&A Lettings Limited

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?