Tenant is an Offshore Worker

by Readers Question

13:53 PM, 6th June 2016
About 4 years ago

Tenant is an Offshore Worker

Make Text Bigger
Tenant is an Offshore Worker

I was wondering if anyone else was in a similar position to myself. My tenant is an offshore worker who is away for 4 weeks at a time. However recently due to changing work commitments the number of weeks is increasing.offshore worker

My insurance states the property shouldn’t be empty any more than 60 consecutive days however I have been contact by my tenant that he is stuck offshore and it will be 80-100 days before he is able to return.

As far as I am aware no one else has access to the property other than the tenant. I am very much aware I can’t access it, I have no intention to and I do not think my tenant would be keen for me to do so.

However, I am now wondering, going forward how best to handle this situation as he is a good long standing tenant and I don’t wish to end the tenancy.

Any thoughts or advice? Some others must be in a similar position?



Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Romain Garcin

11:31 AM, 9th June 2016
About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Martin M" at "09/06/2016 - 10:30":

Unless your tenant physically prevents you from accessing the property, e.g. by changing the locks, you have every right to go in and inspect as long as you follow the terms of the lease, i.e. as long as you give no less that 24 hour notice in writing.


9:56 AM, 12th June 2016
About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Martin M" at "07/06/2016 - 21:11":

Apologies, my assumption was based on my own narrow horizons! Of course there are other jobs which would entail longer periods such as shipping.

Paul Fay

16:25 PM, 12th June 2016
About 4 years ago

I've not read all the comments but from an insurance perspective the big risk is an escape of water; particularly frozen pipes in winter. I'd expect any insurer willing to continue cover to require the heating to either be left on low permanently with the loft hatch open or more likely; the water systems to be drained down and the water supply turned off.

An alternative would be that only FLEA (Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake and Aircraft) cover would be offered.

Insurance policies will typically require someone to live at the property was well rather than simply checking it at regular intervals.

Martin M

16:58 PM, 12th June 2016
About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Paul Fay" at "12/06/2016 - 16:25":

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. My own insurance covers me as normal, except water damage, provided someone checks property every 7 days which is fine. Going forward I will ensure next policy covers up to 90 days, which I have since discovered is possible.

1 2 3

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Auction watch - 4 auction deals at forthcoming sales

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More