S257 HMO – Building or individual flats?

S257 HMO – Building or individual flats?

14:21 PM, 4th May 2019, About 3 years ago 1

Text Size

I have a shop with 8 studio flats above all let to 1 household ie 1 person. It’s in Hackney.

I understand that it is a s257 HMO and needs to have an HMO licence. I’ve had a fire risk assessment done and everything is now in order throughout.

What I’m confused about now I’m applying for the licence is that I was told the licence is for the actual building NOT the individual studios so do they or do they not all have to comply in their own right to things like space standards, and fire stuff (like fire doors inside) etc.?

Many Thanks



Neil Patterson View Profile

14:24 PM, 4th May 2019, About 3 years ago

RLA >> https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/mandatory-hmo-licensing.shtml

"Mandatory licensing does not apply to HMOs that meet the converted blocks of flats test, otherwise known as s257 HMOs. A local authority has the discretion to designate s257 HMOs as licensable under additional licensing schemes. However, individual flats within a s257 HMO could still require a mandatory licence if they meet the mandatory test."

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now