Rogue tradesman run off with deposit?

Rogue tradesman run off with deposit?

9:20 AM, 18th November 2019, About 3 years ago 3

Text Size

I have had the misfortune to deal with rogue bathroom fitter, he asked for 50% deposit and when the time came to do the work he said he was hospitalised, then I found out 3 weeks he had actually found full time employment and did not have time to complete my job.

He has stupid enough to announce in Facebook where he now works.

He refuses to return the deposit and to complete the work. What is the best way to deal with this case legally to get him to refund the deposit of £975?

Any advice is most welcome thank you.




10:36 AM, 18th November 2019, About 3 years ago

Do you have any form of written contract with the fitter? Failing a formal written contract, written quotes, emails confirming agreement, any written acknowledgment confirming receipt of deposit by the fitter?

Richard Adams

17:17 PM, 18th November 2019, About 3 years ago

Pursue him through the Small Claims process having written to him saying that is what you will do if he does not pay within 14 days say. It takes some time and for £975 is very cheap. Sounds like the sort of chap who will ignore the summons etc because he has no defence. You will get copy of judgement telling him to pay within 14 days which he may not do by sound of him? If he does not pay instruct the firm Debt Collection Bailiffs Ltd to collect. Same mob as you see on TV - "Can't pay we'll take it away". They will get the payment unless he's completely skint. If he's got a job though he can afford to pay what is a pretty small amount even if it is by instalments. Good luck.

Dylan Morris

9:03 AM, 19th November 2019, About 3 years ago

Perhaps go for an Attachment of Earnings order if the bailiffs cannot recover funds from his assets.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now