Right to rent follow up check when tenant is renewing visa?

Right to rent follow up check when tenant is renewing visa?

15:15 PM, 7th October 2021, About 3 years ago

Text Size

Hi, My tenant’s UK work permit visa expired a few months ago, and I’m conducting a following up Right to Rent check.

The tenant has been chasing an application to renew the work permit Visa with the Home Office for a number of months now, without any results.

The question is: How and what can I do now to satisfy the Right to Rent criteria for this follow-up check?

Many thanks


Below from https://www.gov.uk/check-tenant-right-to-rent-documents/further-checks

Follow-up checks

You must do a follow-up check to make sure your tenant can still rent property in the UK if there’s a time limit on their permission to stay.

You can get a fine if you do not do a follow-up check and your tenant’s permission to stay ends.

Do the follow-up check just before the date that’s the later of:

  • the end of your tenant’s permission to stay in the UK
  • 12 months after your previous check

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19) there are temporary changes to the way you can check documents. Read guidance about the adjusted process, including asking for documents digitally, making checks on a video call, and what to do if someone cannot provide any accepted documents.

You do not have to do a follow-up check if there’s no time limit on your tenant’s permission to stay in the UK.

If your tenant fails a follow-up check

You must tell the Home Office if you find out that your tenant can no longer legally rent property in England after doing a follow-up check.

You could be fined or sent to prison for up to 5 years if your tenant fails a follow-up check and you do not report it to the Home Office.

If the tenant does not have the right documents

You must use the landlord’s checking service to check whether the tenant’s allowed to rent without the right documents if:

  • the Home Office has their documents
  • they have an outstanding case or appeal with the Home Office
  • the Home Office told them they have ‘permission to rent’

You’ll get an answer within 2 working days.

You’ll need the tenant’s Home Office reference number to use the service.

Do not rent a property to someone in England if they do not have the right documents and the landlord’s checking service tells you they are not allowed to rent.

Get help with a check

Call the landlord’s helpline to get help with a check.

Landlord’s helpline
0300 790 6268
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm
Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
Find out about call charges

You must follow the landlord’s code of practice on illegal immigrants and private rented accommodation.

Share This Article

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now