Petition calls to freeze rents, S21 and S8 for Covid-19 outbreakMake Text Bigger
Acorn, a Left Wing community based union of working class people, is petitioning the government to:
– Enact temporary rent freezes for renters suffering with the virus or self isolating for the period of their self isolation and recovery
– Announce an emergency freeze on all current section 21 or section 8 evictions
– Announce an emergency freeze on all applications for section 21 or 8 evictions
– Announce an emergency freeze on evictions of housing association and council tenants
– In line with the above, decree that any period of time spent in self isolation or ill with Coronavirus will be disregarded in section 8 hearings and not counted in the ‘over 2 months of arrears’ threshold. ACORN commits to fight landlords that attempt to evict tenants for non-payment of rent as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Acorn activist have in the past aggressively picketed letting agent offices and claim: “Major UK banks are already announcing mortgage and payment holidays for mortgage holders, so BTL landlords are already seeing protections developed against losing their assets during the outbreak should their tenants not be able to pay the rent.
“There are 2.5 million private landlords in this country, and the security and safety of renters cannot be left to each individual landlord’s good will. The UK government must act to ensure that renters who are forced to self isolate will not risk eviction from their homes, or incur rent arrears that for many people will take weeks if not months to pay off.”
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.