Surely I am not the only landlord worried about new EPC requirements?9:44 AM, 17th February 2021
About A week ago 125
A landlord in Oxford has been fined £2,000 and over £2,000 in costs after repeatedly failing to obtain a gas safety certificate.
One of landlord William Edwards’ properties in Didcot was reported to the local Health and Safety Executive for being without the required gas certificate, and upon visiting seven months later it was found to have a broken boiler. Mr Edwards had been informed of the broken boiler but had failed to replace it.
The HSE had repeatedly told Mr Edwards to supply a Landlord Gas Safety Check Record but had failed to do so. He was then issued with an improvement notice but still failed to do so as the boiler broke down.
Dozie Azubike, the HSE Inspector who was originally told by the tenant of the broken boiler said: “This is a case of a landlord knowingly ignoring his responsibilities and thereby putting people at risk. Every year approximately 20 people die and many others suffer ill health from carbon monoxide poisoning. Unchecked gas appliances do become unsafe over time, exposing tenants to possible serious injuries or even fatality. It is therefore important that landlords fulfil their gas safety obligations to their tenants.”
Gas Safe Register Chief Executive, Paul Johnston, said, “Landlords have a duty to ensure that their gas appliances in a property are safe to use – this means ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. It also means being able to provide tenants with an up to date gas safety record. It is important that tenants also know their rights when it comes to gas safety issues and aren’t afraid to ask to see evidence that gas appliances have been checked and are safe.”
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agentsLearn More