Ownership help after partner moves abroad?

by Readers Question

10:11 AM, 12th July 2016
About 4 years ago

Ownership help after partner moves abroad?

Make Text Bigger
Ownership help after partner moves abroad?

My ex purchased a property by way of a mortgage.  He lived there alone for several years, before meeting me. He asked me to move in with him, I agreed. We decided that we should make the house ‘our’ space, by re-decorating it from top to bottom.  sold

I did all of the painting at the property, and built the bar in the kitchen. He told me, ‘You have really made this our home.  We will share it together forever.  I want you to share ownership of the house with me.’  However, he never contacted the Land Registry to make me a joint tenant.

I used my earnings to pay the utility bills at the house, as well as to buy items for the gardening etc. He suggested we would be together forever.

One day he leaves me saying he is moving abroad. He left a cheque for £6,000 writing that this is to help me ‘set myself up somewhere else’.  In a post-script, he adds that the house has been sold, and that I will need to vacate by the end of the month. The house had been sold to man he worked with.

What can I do?


Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Neil Patterson

10:13 AM, 12th July 2016
About 4 years ago

Hi Stephanie

May we ask, were you married and did you have kids together?

Also, how long did he own the house for and how long did you live there for?

Michael Barnes

16:06 PM, 19th July 2016
About 4 years ago

see a solicitor.

It is my understanding that all persons over 18 need to sign to agree that they will move out

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Beyond Section 21 Report - The unintended consequences if government doesn't listen

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More