Name discrepancy between referencing and ID?

13:53 PM, 26th February 2019

Name discrepancy between referencing and ID?

Name discrepancy between referencing and ID?

A potential tenant has passed referencing, but the referencing process has flagged up a discrepancy in the name on their documents.

The applicant has given the name Wilkinson which was used to pass referencing. However the name on the passport and driving licence is showing Wilkison!

The birth certificate and payslips do however show the referenced name Wilkinson.

My question is do I proceed with them as tenants and if so which name should go on the contract?

Help please!

Susan

Comments

Mike W

21:26 PM, 27th February 2019

I am bewildered. How did the discrepancy occur? If the passport was used what name was put on travel documents? Who signed the 'this is a true likeness ...' HMRC records? What name is on the electoral register? All of which seems to indicate the person knew of error or a lot of people never checked .... until now.
I am not sure I would want to find out. If the person is not that bothered about documents would they be bothered about keeping your property in order?

To answer your question: No and not applicable.

Maybe I'm too officious?

Hamish McBloggs

9:47 AM, 28th February 2019

It is clear by my recent experiences that judgements aren't always on a publicly searchable register.

Do referencing organisations have some inside track to get around this ... whichever way the name is spelled?

Given my recent experiences I would entertain a void and ask that the person correct the passport and driving licence.

How about using the Home Office's Landlord Checking service for the right to rent? Do it twice, once for each spelling. It's free and takes 48 hours.

Hamish

Hamish McBloggs

9:48 AM, 28th February 2019

Reply to the comment left by Ray Davison at 27/02/2019 - 16:51
What's tax?

Ray Davison

13:27 PM, 28th February 2019

Reply to the comment left by Hamish McBloggs at 28/02/2019 - 09:47
The thing is, that this case does not meet either of the criteria for using that checking service which are:
* the person has an application or appeal outstanding with the Home Office
* or, the Home Office is currently holding the person’s documents

Mike Jackson

10:44 AM, 2nd March 2019

Walk away and find somebody else. Its not worth your trouble messing around trying to correct things.

Hamish McBloggs

15:25 PM, 2nd March 2019

Reply to the comment left by Hamish McBloggs at 28/02/2019 - 09:47
when I said 'entertain a void' ... I meant ... whilst looking for another candidate ... not waiting for the government's administrative systems to deal with the paperwork ... signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Winter Economy Plan leaves landlords out in the cold