I am just about to serve a section 21

I am just about to serve a section 21

7:51 AM, 15th July 2014, About 9 years ago 2

Text Size

I am just about to serve a section 21 on my tenants who have gone from an AST, to a periodic tenancy. I changed the dates of payment for rent to the 1st day of each month; this was to give the tenants some breathing space with regards payment of rent. After giving them three months to pay arrears of £355, they have again failed to pay the rent. I am just about to serve section 21 notice

I want to make sure I give them the correct date and I presume the two months notice is based from the new rent due date and not the original date of the initial AST?

Any advice would be appreciated.



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

7:53 AM, 15th July 2014, About 9 years ago

Hi Pete

My understanding is that you will need to serve section a 21 4 a on the date of the agreement, regardless of what other arrangements have been made. If you give three months notice instead of two you can’t really go wrong on dates. Make sure that you have properly served the deposit protection certificate and prescribed information properly though, otherwise your section 21 notice could be invalid.

I very rarely serve notice on tenants but if I do need to I’ve learned that it’s better to pay somebody who does it day in, day out. In that regard there is nobody better experienced than Landlord Action. You can contact them via the form on the following liked Property118 page >>> http://www.property118.com/tenant-eviction/39099/

Personal experience taught me that it is far better to pay a professional a few hundred pounds than it is to try to do it yourself which invariably ends up costing a lot more a creating a lot more grief too.

I learned this lesson from this dilemma I had about 10 years ago >>> http://www.property118.com/perfect-tenant-evicted-prostitute/29056/

Tessa Shepperson

8:20 AM, 19th July 2014, About 9 years ago

Note that if you want to serve the notice yourself, you can get a free s21 notice and instructions on how to use it if you join my free Landlord Law Library : http://landlordlawstore.co.uk/join-free-landlord-law-content-library/

Landlord Action are a good choice if you want someone to do it for you.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now