Tessa Shepperson

Registered with Property118.com
Wednesday 5th June 2013

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 149

Tessa Shepperson

7:42 AM, 28th September 2019
About 2 months ago

Ben Beadle is to be chief executive of new NRLA

One of the biggest tasks of the CEO of the new enlarged NRLA will be to meld two organisations, both of which have been in existence for many years with their own cultures and ways of doing things, into one united organisation.

That will not be an easy task and will need a very special person. I think Ben is a good choice for that difficult job.... Read More

Tessa Shepperson

8:00 AM, 11th September 2019
About 2 months ago

Tessa Shepperson

13:30 PM, 7th September 2019
About 2 months ago

Landlords - what would YOU like to see in a training course?

Thanks for your comments. The course is now in development. It focuses on the legal rules that landlords need to comply with - I don't deal with things such as choice of property to buy and finance aspects.

The course is called 'managing your rented property within the law' and if you want to find out more about the course and what it contains see here: https://landlordlawservices.co.uk/sales-managing-rented-property-within-law-2019/

If you want to view a sample course I have released on HMO law and practice it is here: https://tenancylawyer.co.uk/hmo101/index.html#/

So far as CPD is concerned we have found that most organisations such as ARLA and the NLA will accept our training for their CPD purposes.... Read More

Tessa Shepperson

6:49 AM, 8th July 2019
About 4 months ago

Student tenancy agreement update needed?

My understanding is that when doing a new tenancy due to a change of sharer, you can charge your actual reasonable costs or £50 but not both.

Reasonable costs are most likley to be things you have had to pay out for such as new inventories. So you need to make sure you keep all invoices.

The alternatives are either to refuse to accept any change of sharer during the fixed term, or to rent student houses by the room where it is easier to do the change.... Read More

Tessa Shepperson

10:52 AM, 5th July 2019
About 5 months ago

Student tenancy agreement update needed?

You need to be very careful about guarantees. If you sign a guarantee with Mr A for a tenancy with A, B and C as tenants, those are the people who he has agreed to guarantee.

So if you change the situation - either by assignment or by getting tenants to sign a new tenancy agreement, so that the tenants are now A, B and D - Mr A did not guarantee a tenancy with D as a tenant or indeed with D having a right of occupation. So this will almost certainly invalidate the guarantee. For example, C could have been a nice quiet person but D a wild partygoer with a history of alcoholism who Mr A would never have agreed to guarantee.

You are only safe if you get Mr A to sign a new form of guarantee.

Most tenancies run on without any problem and so these 'solutions' appear to be satisfactory. It is only when you get a problem and a dispute with the guarantor that you may find that the guarantee is now invalid - as the tenancy was not the same as the one the guarantor agreed to guarantee.

By then it is too late to do anything about it and if you are an agent you will have an unhappy landlord on your hand and probably a claim against you.... Read More