HMO Subletting – Who applies for Licence?

by Readers Question

13:30 PM, 29th November 2017
About 3 years ago

HMO Subletting – Who applies for Licence?

Make Text Bigger
HMO Subletting – Who applies for Licence?

Hi there,
We are managing and subletting a property to sharers.

Consider that – All tenants are people who are claiming housing benefit. Us – the agent is paying an agreed monthly rent to the homeowner regardless the property is occupied or not. In this case who needs to apply for HMO licence, the agent or the homeowner?

Q. no.2: What is the correct contract we should use between the homeowner and the agent? ‘Rent to Rent’ or ‘HMO management contract’ or any other?

Many thanks for any advice on our situation.


Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Dale James

22:01 PM, 30th November 2017
About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Mike at 30/11/2017 - 13:54
Yes, i asked the head of environmental health hmo section in the second city in Wales who would be at risk of prosecution if hmo regs were breached in a rent to rent or lease option situation and was told the council would pursue owner and landlord and let the court sort it out! Hmo management regs always talk about landlord and manager as both responsible.

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Potential Commission Dispute?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More