I have got stuck with an illegal loft conversion?

10:18 AM, 21st March 2016

I have got stuck with an illegal loft conversion?

I have got stuck with an illegal loft conversion?

I bought a property last July which was a converted 2nd floor flat with a third bedroom in the loft.planning

I wanted to make some updates to the property only to find that there was no planning permission given and certainly no building control involvement.

I did a basic survey on the purchase but my solicitors did not do the proper searches.

Where do I go from here.
Help!

Kevin

Comments

Sunny K

14:56 PM, 21st March 2016

Reply to the comment left by "sally lloyd" at "21/03/2016 - 12:53":

The cost of soundproofing very much depends on existing ceiling and floor above. You could treat ceiling, space between floor joist or the floor above. The cheapest option is treating the floor which comes to about £100/sq m in London.

Sunny K

15:00 PM, 21st March 2016

Reply to the comment left by "sally lloyd" at "21/03/2016 - 12:32":

I think the indemnity insurance is quite a standard practice in relation to mortgages where there is no planning permission and/or building regulations. Most mortgage providers if not all are happy with this. I have similar issues in the past and I found Mr Paul Sheerin of Ryan Hawking's (used via this website) very helpful.

Colin McNulty

12:58 PM, 29th March 2016

Just be careful not to speak to the council about planning if you are considering the indemnity policy. I believe all planning indemnity policies have clauses that say you mustn't tell the council, or even reveal that you've taken out the policy, not even to the neighbours.

Message To ALL Mortgage Brokers