Can landlords let out rooms on airbnb without tenants’ knowledge or permission?

10:12 AM, 14th February 2017

Can landlords let out rooms on airbnb without tenants’ knowledge or permission?

Can landlords let out rooms on airbnb without tenants’ knowledge or permission?

I’m living in a shared house with an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (minimum term 6 months). There’s currently an empty room in the house. The landlord said a new person would check into the room and asked us to be in to let the new person in.

The person turned up and say they’re coming to the room for 4 nights, using it as airbnb. I had no idea this was happening. Landlord confirms that they are letting the room out using airbnb until they find a longer term tenant.

Is this allowed?airbnb

Can landlords let out rooms on airbnb without tenants’ knowledge or permission?

Many thanks!

Jenny

Comments

Dani Hicks

12:11 PM, 16th February 2017

Reply to the comment left by "Jill Coyne" at "15/02/2017 - 19:41":

Hi Jill,
reply -bill payments in HMO's. Usually all the bills a paid by the LL and they are included in the price of the rent, which the tenants love. There are some cases that an individual key meters are installed for each Room or the exclusive personal use bed-sit for each individual sharer. If you are interested to learn more about running or setting HMO you can get a book or find a course to do it professionally. There are many legislations to follow as a Landlord.

Derek Cornelius

16:54 PM, 17th November 2020
About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Jill Coyne at 15/02/2017 - 12:59
The original poster is living in a shared house. Rooms in an HMO are usually let on an AST. A license is used where there is some kind of "service" included, changing bed linen, room cleaning, meals etc.

Paul Maguire

23:01 PM, 17th November 2020
About 2 months ago

Dani. I doubt that bills included in rent is a "usually" practice in HMO's as it encourages tenants to have the heating on 24 hrs in winter and regulated by the tenants by opening windows. The ones I've seen advertised have either resident landlords who are able to monitor the usage or the rent is high enough to cover abuse [as in the case of AirBnBs]. In my 2 HMO's the utility bills are in my name [CT and Wifi are included in rent] and get divided by the number of tenants in each month to pay to myself [bills produced]. I used to use seperate ASTs for each room but now [being in Scotland] use the Scottish Government's legal tenancy agreements which have no set maximum/minimum lease period. I could use this for AirBnBs but don't, although I have had many 1 or 2 month tenancies whilst keeping the long term ones. My experience has been that the long term tenants have been happy to have short term tenants occupy empty rooms as it reduces their share of bills [especially in the winter months]. Working with your tenants in HMO's works... [for me and them anyway].

Old Mrs Landlord

23:20 PM, 17th November 2020
About 2 months ago

I'm surprised none of the tenants and no-one here has raised the issue of Covid infection risk if random strangers are sharing their communal areas and facilities every few days.

Could your buy-to-let company share structure be better?