Andy Burnham and RLA – Amnesty for bad landlords

by Property 118

9:59 AM, 25th April 2018
About 12 months ago

Andy Burnham and RLA – Amnesty for bad landlords

Andy Burnham and RLA – Amnesty for bad landlords

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham was speaking at the Residential Landlord Association’s Future Renting North conference and suggested an amnesty to rid Manchester of ‘rogue’ landlords.

This is part of the Mayor’s plan to introduce a good landlord scheme working with the RLA to tackle the ‘epidemic of insecurity’.

The amnesty would include purchasing properties from landlords that were unwilling or unable to bring their rental properties up to the required standard. No details of the purchase plan were given at this stage so the scheme did not look like a potential reward for badly maintained homes and the buy outs were unlikely to be at market value.

Mayor Burnham said: “Safe, decent housing should be a human right as healthcare and education is. The fact that you are at the conference today shows that you want to be reputable and do things properly. Truth of the matter is this doesn’t apply to the whole of the private rented sector.

“We need to isolate those that are giving the sector a bad name. We will work with you to establish what’s reasonable, what’s fair and what landlords should be expected to provide.”

The new housing policy is planned to be announced in June with a further 12-18 months for the Good Landlord Scheme to be implemented with the assistance of the RLA.

Comments

Luke P

11:05 AM, 29th April 2018
About 12 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Barry Fitzpatrick at 29/04/2018 - 09:52
I may be taking a similar decision to Peterborough’s Stef & Philip (albeit for different reasons…a DWP manager, whose job was specifically to aid the smooth transition of HB to UC, has now decided to personally block direct payments to me). My company is being deliberately discriminated against because an individual in a position of power holds political views that don’t align with my own. Remember the storm at PMQs in November when Corbyn was waving around my letter that was sent, along with a s.21, to all of my tenants in order to protect my business from the impending shambles of UC, well despite at least two of my UC applicant tenants who have (voluntarily) elected to have direct payment to me and the assessing officer failing to investigate if a ‘Tier 1 Consideration Factor’ (grounds for direct payment) exists -which it does, ‘risk of eviction/repossession’ is on Tier 1’s list and all of my tenants are currently under notice and at risk of eviction- I contacted the manager, who visited my offices a number of times in the lead up to UC’s launch, to resolve the incorrectly assessed applications. She first defended the assessing officer’s (incorrect) judgment, because she had listened to the telephone recording and the officer enquired as to whether the tenants were currently in arrears (they were not at the time), even though this is where his line of questioning ended and did not move into questions about risk of eviction, then refused to alter direct payments because she was ‘hardly going to do that knowing I’ve issued notice to all of my tenants’ (unprofessionally using extra, ‘outside’ information to cloud her abilities to rule on an individual case) and that she knew my game. Here’s the real stinker…when I semi-rhetorically asked what she thought would happen now (the answer to which being that I would have little choice but to exercise the notice), she said: “Bully the tenant…” She hates that as a private business I get to choose who I rent to and for how long, under what circumstances and for how much. Her opinion is that I am the usual LL scum.

If this is how I am to be treated by the DWP and Universal Credit, I will no longer accept such tenants. As the second largest provider of PRS Property to benefit recipients, this will have consequences. I lay the blame squarely at the door of the DWP and the individual manager.

Homelessness prevention is more important than her petty politicking!!

terry sullivan

12:56 PM, 29th April 2018
About 12 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Luke P at 29/04/2018 - 11:05
letter to chief executive with copies to mp and minister for local govt. she may be charged with malfeasance in a public office--give it a go!

David Lawrenson

14:46 PM, 4th May 2018
About 12 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Monty Bodkin at 25/04/2018 - 12:38
I rather think you have hit the nail on the head with that quote.

It's no good government at national or local level making a lot of noise and also bringing in new laws to control the private rented sector, unless they back it with enough staff and cash to enforce the law.

All that happens is the good guys comply with the laws (and pay the cost of the bureaucracy) whilst the rogue and "rouge" landlords go unpunished.

Broken record!

David Lawrenson
Private rented sector advice.

terry sullivan

10:30 AM, 5th May 2018
About 12 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Luke P at 29/04/2018 - 11:05
i would issue s21 against the dwp guy--actions have consequences!

Luke P

11:49 AM, 5th May 2018
About 12 months ago

Reply to the comment left by terry sullivan at 05/05/2018 - 10:30
All my tenants are under notice. This is soon to be renewed so they contonue to remain under notice.

terry sullivan

12:17 PM, 5th May 2018
About 12 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Luke P at 05/05/2018 - 11:49
hi

yes i noticed that--but i would dump this tenant

B4lamb

12:25 PM, 1st November 2018
About 6 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Dr Rosalind Beck at 25/04/2018 - 11:32
I heard him today on 5 live blaming the the PRS for spiraling rents, not accepting homeless and those sleeping rough. He was suggesting more regulation in the PRS. Why would a private landlords risk taking rough sleepers and homeless over more secure individuals and families that are in secure work with lower risk of defaulting. He was blaming private landlords for no fault evictions yet we all know why we use Section 21 rather than 8 as iit's a lot easier to implement but there nearly always is an underlying fault that results in an eviction but those like Andy Burnham and Shelter like to jump to conclusions that suit them and make out that we evict tenants for no reason at all. What's happened to his grand plan to buy private properties and convert to council housing, how many have the council bought in the time he was elected to his role?

What on earth are you waiting for?