Who regulates charity housing?

by Readers Question

10:55 AM, 9th December 2020
About 5 months ago

Who regulates charity housing?

Make Text Bigger
Who regulates charity housing?

Hi, I am trying to find out who regulates housing by a charity in an HMO classed as supported living.

The tenants have a licence, not a tenancy agreement, but it says it’s excluded from the prevention of eviction.

Does anyone know anything that can help me please?

Many thanks



Robert Mellors

9:57 AM, 10th December 2020
About 5 months ago

Hi Michelle

Charities can provide Licences instead of tenancies in shared housing where additional services are provided. Although licences in themselves do not exclude landlords from the provisions of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977, there are a number of exclusions from the PEA as listed in section 3A Excluded tenancies and licences. Among the exclusions are charities, see s3A(8)(h).

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Revised Right to Rent requirments from 21st June