A landlord was fined £12,000 for failing to provide a fire alarm and electricity supply in a shared house he let to tenants.
Sikander Hayat admitted seven safety offences in breach of house in multiple occupation regulations at Banbury Magistrates Court.
In addition to the fines, he was ordered to pay £300 costs.
Councillor Debbie Pickford, of Cherwell District Council, which brought the prosecution, said: “Mr Hayat left tenants without proper fire detection in an unsafe house.
“He knew what was required and we are pleased that the court shared our view of the seriousness of the offences. Safe standards must be maintained and we shall continue to take action to make sure they are.”
“The council is committed to dealing with unsatisfactory housing. We work with landlords whenever we can and the majority of our enforcement work is achieved informally. Where we find serious breaches of the law, or in cases where landlords or managers repeatedly fail to do what the law requires, as in this case, we will take them to court.
Tenants lived in fear of faulty gas boiler
Another buy to let landlord in Huddersfield left his tenant at risk by ignoring warnings to check gas appliances in the property.
A tenant and her daughter were left with a faulty boiler and an unsafe gas fire during the winter.
Eventually, Kirklees Council carried out the safety work for the tenant.
Anthony Brownson, was contacted several times between May 2010 and March 2011 by health and safety officers.
Leeds Magistrates Court heard he ignored their requests to produce a gas safety certificate for the home. He also failed to respond to improvement notice and failed to turn up to an interview.
Brownson pleaded guilty to breaking gas safety regulations and failing to comply with an improvement notice. He was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £2,089 costs.