Right to Rent rules may change

Right to Rent rules may change

10:03 AM, 21st April 2016, About 6 years ago 5

Text Size

immigration checksRight to Rent checks became a legal requirement for landlords to carry out on tenants from February this year. This controversial requirement has been seen by many landlords as an unnecessary extra responsibility carrying out checks that should be made by customs and immigration.

However the RLA have reported that the Government is planning to change its guidance for Right to Rent and is calling for all landlords to contact them and report their experiences. This landlord feedback can then be passed on by the RLA to government and taken into consideration for any new rules that may be implemented.

It was announced last month by government that landlords will no longer be immediately criminalised for failing to report or rent to illegal immigrants with no right to stay. Changes to the Immigration Bill now provide protection for landlords who take reasonable steps in an appropriate time frame to terminate tenancies of those living in the country illegally.

Alan Ward, RLA chairman said, “we are delighted that the Government is willing to listen to landlords with regards to Right to Rent.

What is vital now is that we have details of real experiences that we can feed back to officials before the guidance is updated.”

To Feedback your Right to Rent experiences you can email: campaigns@rla.org.uk

Current guidance is detailed below:

Right to rent

Includes everyone who will be living in the property who is 18 or over, even if they are not named on the tenancy agreement. It also applies if there is no tenancy agreement, or the agreement isn’t in writing.

Making a check

– Find out who will be living there as their only or main home
– Check their original documents and make sure they are the tenant’s and haven’t been altered, that all the information (e.g. date of birth and photo) is consistent on all and that if any names are different, that they have the supporting documents, such as a marriage certificate
– Keep a note of the date you make the check
– Take copies of all the documents and keep them for the duration of the tenancy plus one year
– Or you can ask your managing agent to run the checks for you, but you should put this in writing

Tenants with a limited right to stay

If the tenant has a limited time they can stay in the UK, you need to:
– Run the check in the 28 days before the tenancy begins
– Run another check on their status just before the expiry of their right to stay or 12 months after your last check, depending on which is longest
– If they don’t have a right to stay at that point, you must tell the Home Office

If the Home Office has the tenant’s documents, then you can use their checking service https://www.gov.uk/landlord-immigration-check to find out if you can rent using their Home Office reference number.

Find out more

You can read more about the landlord’s right to rent code of practice here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/right-to-rent-landlords-code-of-practice


Mick Roberts View Profile

14:42 PM, 21st April 2016, About 6 years ago

All my tenants would fail.

My incoming tenants would fail.

I have known 'em since they was born in this county & their parents, but I can't rent to them, as they have no passport, license ID etc.

I am Housing Benefit specialist who would have dozens of empty houses if I followed the Govt rules. And UK born English tenants would be homeless, because they have no passport.

They don't have birth certificate, what is a man to do?
No marriage certificate?
Use common sense or do it the Tories way?

Romain Garcin

20:27 PM, 21st April 2016, About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mick Roberts" at "21/04/2016 - 14:42":

If they have no way of proving their identity or citizenship they may have a bigger problem than 'right to rent' checks.

It is possible to order a copy of a birth certificate from the General Register Office.

Mick Roberts View Profile

7:47 AM, 22nd April 2016, About 6 years ago

Most of my tenants have a bigger problem ha ha.

They can get birth certificates, but what's easy for me & u is sometimes a battle for others.
And why should I leave house empty waiting for these onerous things when I know they are proper English mean't to be here etc.?

Roger Stott

10:46 AM, 25th April 2016, About 6 years ago

Here's a radical idea for you, Mick, why not rent your properties to UK citizens who can prove their identity and nationality with the correct paperwork.
Your tenants may or may not have the right to rent, but if they are not willing to go through the system and provide you with legal documentation, both they and you have a problem.

Mick Roberts View Profile

14:38 PM, 25th April 2016, About 6 years ago

Good idea in theory,
But what if this tenant was with me before for 10 years & was brilliant?
And now wants to come back to me for another 10 years? Yet she han't got the ID the Govt require?
Would I be stupid to get someone else I don't know?

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now