New flat conversion – electric or gas?

8:20 AM, 22nd December 2015

New flat conversion – electric or gas?

New flat conversion – electric or gas?

I am converting a semi-detached large house into 5 self contained flats. 4 x flats will be 1 bedroom and 1 x 2/3 bedrooms.gas

The 1 x 2/3 bedroom flat will have gas and I was contemplating gas central heating for the others too. However, I am now reconsidering as now the partitions are going in, they do not actually look that big (around 35 sq.m). They would only need 1 radiator in the living room/kitchen, 1 in the bedroom and 1 towel rail in the shower room.

Given the above, I was thinking of keeping the 4 x 1 bedroom flats as electric only with electric radiators and a electric handwash for the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Obviously, this will save me capital outlay, but the other reason in support of my thoughts around electric is because everything (and I mean everything as it is back to brick) will be brought up to modern standards in terms of insulation.

The potential capital outlay saving is circa £8000 (if i budget £2k per flat for boiler, piping and radiators). However, if I were to have gas, now is the time to install it as everything is ripped up.

Thoughts and opinions?

Des

Comments

Paul Tarry

21:36 PM, 19th January 2016

Chris Byways

8:17 AM, 20th January 2016

Reply to the comment left by "Paul Tarry" at "19/01/2016 - 21:36":

As the installation, but mainly lifetime running cost of heating are so high, accurate independent comparisons, with either good and bad insulation scenarios are vital. If anyone sees any, could they please post?

It is convenient, but running costs are £1-90 per hour whilst operating at maximum at pre-payment meter rates! So viable for new builds or if excellent retro fit insulation is fitted, but this is a massive undertaking in most cases, so £5,000 on IWI (+ reduction of room size) and £2,000 on a boiler alters the balance.

Ps a tenant said, I've just ordered a portable gas heater. I said no, it's in lease as an insurance item, not possible, anyway they cost as much as a day rate electric heater. Is this about right?

Call for 80% rental income guarantee for small landlords!