How to insure flats without planning permission?

How to insure flats without planning permission?

10:48 AM, 11th April 2017, About 5 years ago 1

Text Size

I have a house that has been converted into two self-contained flats recently. The flats have achieved building regulation certification for the conversion BUT NOT planning permission.

My current insurers don’t specifically ask about planning permission even though they know it’s a house split into two flats but when, in the interests of full disclosure, I mention there isn’t planning permission in place they say they can’t quote for it.

I know lots of landlords split houses up, then wait 4 years and apply for a Lawful Development Cert – question I have is how do they obtain Buildings Insurance in the interim as that’s the problem I now face?

Many thanks in advance



by Jason McClean

12:26 PM, 11th April 2017, About 5 years ago

Hi Jeol

Ref the planning permission, we think you should be able to get buildings cover (excluding cover for returning the property to prior if planning permission is refused).

Give us a call on 01832-735388 and we will sort a quote for you, shouldn't be a problem.


Jason McClean

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Landlord Tax Planning Book Now