Incorporation into existing family Ltd Co.

Incorporation into existing family Ltd Co.

9:20 AM, 31st January 2018, About 6 years ago 2

Text Size

We have had a property management company for many years and have a few properties held within the company. Our 2 adult children are also shareholders of this company.

If we incorporated the rest of our properties should we start another company or is it possible to utilise the existing company?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Many thanks


Show Book a Tax Planning Consultation

Please visit the book a tax planning consultation page to book your consultation!

Share This Article


Neil Patterson

9:28 AM, 31st January 2018, About 6 years ago

Hi Jane,

Yes you can do either, HOWEVER, if you intend to utlise incorporation reliefs to roll capital gains into shares in your existing company then you must understand that your childrens’ shareholdings will need to be diluted pro-rata to the equity you will be transferring into the company. Not doing so would result in a significant CGT bill. You also need to consider Stamp duty. I strongly recommend a tax consultation, which you can book via the link below, and which comes with a guarantee of total satisfaction or a full refund.

Roger P

11:44 AM, 31st January 2018, About 6 years ago

start with a new company and use the partnership route for nil SDLT and section 162 for incorporation relief for CGT
HMRC want a company less than 12 months old to use these strategies, plus lenders seem to prefer new companies if you're remortgaging

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now