Disappearing Tenant

by Readers Question

9:36 AM, 28th July 2014
About 6 years ago

Disappearing Tenant

Make Text Bigger
Disappearing Tenant

I will try and keep this to the point; Tenant moved in Christmas Eve, signed the tenancy agreement as a rolling one month.

Not received rent for the last two months despite texting, phoning, writing several letters, but no response.

Visited the property last week, all curtains and blinds closed, garden overgrown and was met by a bailiff arriving, who was also wanting to speak to the tenant for unpaid debts. I spoke to neighbours and they have not seen the tenant for approx 6 weeks and they think he has gone to live with his girlfriend.

More texts, phone calls and several letters later, but still no response, I finally entered the property yesterday to discover the tenants belongings, amongst filth and dirt, the back yard was full of bin bags of rubbish and the mattress of the bed ( part furnished) which looked like none had been taken out since the tenancy agreement. There were lots of debt collector and bailiffs letters and we have also discovered that he has not paid any council tax, water rates or TV licence.

What I hope is that someone will be able to advise on what should be our next move. We are unable to trace the girlfriends address, but are extremely concerned with the situation and hope there is help out there?

Many thanks


Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Karen Archer

16:28 PM, 29th July 2014
About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Rosalind Beck" at "28/07/2014 - 23:24":

Thank you Rosalind, but with the strength of the court order will take it forward with her guarantor. He is working so will do as you suggest, an attachment of earnings order.

andy Proctor

9:53 AM, 2nd August 2014
About 6 years ago

why not use a tracing agency to find their current address,i had a similar problem,once you have their current adress you can go to court.
the tracingagency i used was resolve £35 pluss vat nowin no fee,they did a good job in finding tenants. andy

Dr Rosalind Beck

21:17 PM, 2nd August 2014
About 6 years ago

Hi Karen.
Apparently you have to take the guarantor to court in order to get the attachment against them (i.e. you can't have the judgement against the tenant but then get the attachment on the guarantor on that basis).
All the best.

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Government Announces that XMAS Comes Early For Property Investors & Developers

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More