Had a CCJ demanding 3 times the deposit

10:27 AM, 13th December 2014

Had a CCJ demanding 3 times the deposit

Had a CCJ demanding 3 times the deposit

Stupidly, and I mean very stupidly, did not put a tenants deposit in a deposit protection scheme. Had a CCJ demanding 3 times the deposit

They have just told me they are emigrating to Australia and have said in an mail that they are not going to be paying the last months rent. Now to top it off they have issued a CCJ demanding three times the deposit plus £105 for court costs.

They are also refusing me entry.

Up until now we have had a good relationship but they are totally exploiting the situation for monetary gain.

Do I have any rights or have I blown them all out the window by not putting the deposit in a scheme?

I used to use a letting agent but the tenant and myself decided to do it between ourselves.

We couldn’t agree on a contract so we verbally said what we wanted, I wanted 2-3 months notice but they have only give me one and that is not in writing.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Regards

Steve Morton

Comments

Mary Latham

14:40 PM, 6th January 2015

Reply to the comment left by "Peter Mclelland" at "20/12/2014 - 19:41":

Peter I am sorry I have just come back to see how Steve got on and picked up your post.

I can see no problems at all with what you have done - I too have done this in the past, sometimes we just have to take a common sense approach and do what we feel is best

Mary Latham

14:43 PM, 6th January 2015

Steve Did they move out at the end of December? Very curious to know

I hope that 2015 will bring you good tenants

landlords arent all bad

12:01 PM, 30th September 2018
About 11 months ago

Hi, I've been reading your thread and finding it very interesting. But want to know what happened with the courts.... what was the confirmation at the end? Were the courts sympathetic? award you the 1.5x deposit, or the full 3x deposit???

Police blamed for allowing Anarchy to rule in the PRS