Can I get out of a 6month sublet tenancy due to worrying behaviour?

Can I get out of a 6month sublet tenancy due to worrying behaviour?

9:22 AM, 16th May 2016, About 6 years ago 12

Text Size

A tenant of a landlord is subletting a room to me. I don’t know if the actual landlord is aware. At first she was nice to live with, but very quickly it appeared she has severe depression and behaves weirdly. Get out

She uses all of my things, she comes in to my room, eats all of my food, despite me telling her on several occasions that this is not on.

I feel uncomfortable to leave any valuables in the room and thus affecting my privacy and personal space.

I want to leave but I still have 3 months left on contract.

Is there any way out?



by S G

9:36 AM, 18th May 2016, About 6 years ago

Thank you all for your advice and help. It's given me a lot to think about.

I thought I should add that the TV in my room is hers. I told her when I moved in that I can bring my own TV and she can take hers into her own room. She declined this as she has no space. Does this mean she can come into my room and watch TV, as it belongs to her?

Also, I noticed yesterday that the lock on my door is the same as her lock, which is why she has the key (key works on both locks).

If my CCTV alerts me that she is in my room (usually around lunchtime) I will go home for lunch and catch her in the act. This way I can tell her I am uncomfortable with her behaviour, without telling her I have been monitoring on CCTV. I can then continue monitoring via my CCTV.

If she continues to come in after that, I will ignore the agreed terms in my contract and move out. I will also declare this to the local authority so they can look into the case.

by Mandy Thomson

12:10 PM, 18th May 2016, About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "S G" at "18/05/2016 - 09:36":

The local authority wouldn't get involved with the landlord coming into your room. It's also a somewhat grey area as she has the right to come into the room, as you're not a tenant and you don't have exclusive possession of the room, but she doesn't have the right to invade your privacy (in legal terms, she's violating your quiet enjoyment of the room).

As this is clearly causing you great upset, and interfering with your life, I suggest you simply move out as soon as you can, no matter what your agreement stipulates. Give her written notice, explaining your reasons for breaking the agreement, for the record. By violating your right to quiet enjoyment, SHE is the one in breach of your agreement.

If she tries to pursue you for the rent payments, you can then produce the evidence you have of her violating your privacy, and even counter claim against her.

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Landlord Tax Planning Book Now