Councils using ‘Intelligence’ to track down low EPC properties and fine £5,00015:08 PM, 29th March 2021
About 2 weeks ago 36
My wife and I have 3 properties in Malta which we rent out – we’ve recently had a baby, and are not sure what to do next in order to position ourselves best for the future.
At the moment, we live in the UK, but may move to Malta at some point (say within the next 3 years) – I am fortunate to earn a good wage here that allows us to save a fair bit of cash, but if we move, I can foresee our total (salaried) income dropping quite a lot, and it would prevent us being able to save enough to make further property purchases funded by our savings.
Here’s the details of the properties we have:
1. Purchased 10 years ago, current value ~€170k, outstanding mortgage: ~€75k. Rental income is ~125% of mortgage.
2. Purchased 8 years ago, current value ~€200k, outstanding mortagge: ~€100k. Rental income is ~105% of mortgage.
3. Purchased 2 years ago, current value is ~€180k, outstanding mortgage: ~€80k. Rental income is ~150% of mortgage.
All mortgages are capital repayment ones – but (1) and (2) are on offset mortgages.
We also have cash sitting around in various pots, which we have been waiting to use, perhaps for a family home … but not
sure where that will be, so it’s kind of languishing at the moment – we have about £100k in cash, and I also have ~£75k in an ISA (which I view as my pension pot really).
The properties abroad all rent well, with very little in the way of void periods. However, capital growth is probably less than in the UK, and rental prices probably also increase less over time than here. That said, fees are less, and we have family to take care of them for us.
I suppose I have three main things I’d like to get some input on:
– Should we continue with our current strategy, which is to put down a fairly large deposit we have saved, and perhaps buy one or two more in the next year or two? Or perhaps release some equity via remortgaging?
– Should we look to purchase in the UK, to diversify?
– Should we look to try and increase the overall income from our properties in order to put more money in our pockets now, rather than just looking to cover the mortgages and waiting until they are paid off before getting the benefit of the rental income.
Sorry for the long post!
Any opinions are most welcome!!
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.