Live in landlords getting to grips with insurance issues

Live in landlords getting to grips with insurance issues

10:44 AM, 21st November 2012, About 11 years ago

Text Size

Hot News for “Live in Landlords”

If you’re renting out rooms in your own home, you’re technically a landlord, according to the government, and your responsibilities are similar to, if not quite as onerous as those of a landlord with a major property portfolio.

You need to ensure that the space you provide to your lodgers is safe and in a good state of repair. But what about when it comes to protecting your home and possessions?

For a live in landlord with lodgers, landlord insurance isn’t suitable. The array of options out there can be confusing and hard to find. It’s not entirely clear what you can and can’t cover. Are you better off with a household name, or a specialist insurer who understands the ins and outs of taking in lodgers?

What are the options you really need to look out for in any lodger insurance policy?

In order to cut through this confusion, Property118 and are working together to compile some helpful pointers for live in landlords on how to deal with lodger insurance issues.

First off, we’d like to hear about your experiences, whether or not you’ve ever had to make a claim. So if you’ve let out rooms in your house in the past, or do so today, please take part in our survey.

Watch out for our follow up report on lodger insurance for live in landlords, coming out soon.

Share This Article

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now