Legal AdviceMake Text Bigger
This Legal Advice section of our website provides links to some of the best legal minds and services available to landlords and associated professionals in the UK.
Our Track Record
In 2013 we formed Property118 Action Group when the West Bromwich Mortgage Company increased their lifetime tracker mortgage margins by 2%.
We raised over £600,000 via Crowdfunding to take legal action and eventually won our case in the Court of Appeal in June 2016.
We recovered £27,500,000 of illegally overcharged mortgage interest for landlords and 100% of legal costs.
Throughout the case the mortgage lender had constantly made veiled threats to call in loans with 30 days’ notice. The Appeal Judges also ruled that a mortgage lender cannot simply call in mortgages before the term unless a borrower is in default. This is now case law.
Property118 Action Group re-branded as The Landlords Union in 2016 and helps thousands of landlords to resolve legal and other problems every year.
Enhance your Property118 membership status
A growing number of landlords contribute monthly to The Landlords Union “TLU” helping to fund research, campaign work and lobbying for landlords and businesses operating within the Private Rented Sector.
Landlords Union Objectives
- To research and encourage the sharing of best practice
- To raise standards from suppliers of products and services to the UK private rented sector.
- To increase awareness of the social and economic benefits of a healthy private rented sector in the UK.
- To ensure greater consideration is given to consequences of legislation affecting the UK private rented sector before it is implemented.
- To provide an effective deterrent to rogue operators preying on private housing providers, not only with a voice but also with teeth in terms of legal capability and the contacts and funding necessary to back it.
As landlords and associated professionals we must unite. We must respond to increasing legislative demands, fight injustices and encourage the media to balance their generally negative reporting towards landlords and the PRS.
We are vital providers of housing, supporting the mobility of workers and people who are unable or unwilling to take on debt to own their own homes. We trust you will agree that more work needs to be done for the general population to have these facts at ‘front-of-mind’ when thinking about private housing providers.
We also have a second tier of membership called “Lifetime Membership”. This is particularly attractive to landlords who wish to benefit directly from representative action legal campaigns being undertaken by TLU. The most prolific representative action to date was against The West Bromwich Mortgage Company. Under the banner of “Property118 Action Group” we successfully recovered £27,500,000 of overcharged tracker mortgage interest on behalf of UK landlords.