Government forcing landlords to house non-paying tenants for lengthy periods11:18 AM, 15th September 2020
About A week ago 40
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have fined a landlord in Bedford £265 and costs of £845 after a defective gas hob was found at the rental property.
In February this year the tenants felt unwell and called the gas helpline. when an engineer arrived the property’s gas supply was stopped after carbon monoxide was found to be present and the tenants were advised to immediately go to hospital.
The defective gas hob was capped off by British Gas as an immediate danger.
Prosecuting, the HSE told Luton Magistrates’ Court that the landlord had a gas hob, gas cooker and boiler under contract from a gas provider. However, he did not have the hob gas safety checked in January 2015, as required by law.
HSE told the court that “landlords must ensure all gas appliances are not only checked for safety, but maintained in a safe condition.”
As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agentsLearn More