HSE fine landlord for gas safety breach

by Property 118

10:15 AM, 20th October 2015
About 3 years ago

HSE fine landlord for gas safety breach

Make Text Bigger
HSE fine landlord for gas safety breach

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have fined a landlord in Bedford £265 and costs of £845 after a defective gas hob was found at the rental property.HSE

In February this year the tenants felt unwell and called the gas helpline. when an engineer arrived the property’s gas supply was stopped after carbon monoxide was found to be present and the tenants were advised to immediately go to hospital.

The defective gas hob was capped off by British Gas as an immediate danger.

Prosecuting, the HSE told Luton Magistrates’ Court that the landlord had a gas hob, gas cooker and boiler under contract from a gas provider. However, he did not have the hob gas safety checked in January 2015, as required by law.

HSE told the court that “landlords must ensure all gas appliances are not only checked for safety, but maintained in a safe condition.”

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:

  • Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in safe condition
  • Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
  • Keep a record of each safety check
  • You should also keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities while they are staying in your property.


Comments

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?

OR

BECOME A MEMBER

Evicting tenant with baby and wants to be evicted?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More