End of mortgage for Leasehold flat. Do I need a solicitor?

End of mortgage for Leasehold flat. Do I need a solicitor?

23:10 PM, 16th February 2015, About 7 years ago 11

Text Size

The mortgage for the purchase of the leasehold of my ex-council flat will end after one month.

Do I need a solicitor to finalise this for me? End of mortgage for Leasehold flat. Do I need a solicitor

Are there any legal things that I need to get done to make sure that I have all the rights to the lease and the mortgage lender has no further control over myself or the lease?

Any advice would be appreciated… especially if I can avoid any further legal expense.

Thank you.



by Tony Lilleystone

16:38 PM, 23rd February 2015, About 7 years ago

Regarding previous comments, it is very rare for lenders to retain any deeds nowadays. It does look as if you have got the original lease so keep it safe, you will need it when you sell.
Good luck with your lenders, I know some friends of mine had dradful problems because their mortgage was originally with a small building society which got absorbed by a bigger one which converted to a bank which got taken over by a larger bank - so when the mortgage was paid off the last bank did not have a clue about the original mortgage and it took months to get them to sort out the paperwork!
Good advice about anti-fraud measures - you can apply to have a restriction registered if you are not living at the property, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/restriction-by-owner-not-living-at-property-request-registration-rq.
BTL owners should also have separate addresses other than the proeprty address registered at LR for service of notices, these can include an email address.

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?