15:43 PM, 4th March 2019, About 2 years ago
The Mortgage Credit Directive (MCD) came into force in March 2016. This required brokers to consider a second charge alongside a remortgage, when clients were looking to raise funds on their property.
Since then they have grown in popularity and the terms available in the market have improved with Second charge loans available up to 95% Loan to Value and rates starting from 3.65%.
Reasons for you to consider a second charge as opposed to a straight re-mortgage:
– Your circumstances may have changed over a period of time. You may have some adverse credit, or recently become self-employed. Some second charge lenders have more flexible criteria than the first charge market.
– There are many situations where a second charge loan can be more cost effective, such as if you have early repayment charges on your mortgage, or they are on a very low lifetime tracker or variable rate or on an interest only mortgage.
– Where you want to carry out improvements to the property that will lead to a significant increase in the value of the property. This can then allow you to re-mortgage at a lower Loan to Value and enjoy a more preferential interest rate or be allow to release additional capital out of the property.
– Borrowers that have a lot of unsecured borrowings with high interest rates can use a second charge loan for debt consolidation and substantially reduce monthly payments.
– With more stringent stress tests on Buy to let mortgages, a second charge will often enable you to release more equity from the property.
– Second charge loans are generally quicker to arrange, which can often be an important consideration when securing the purchase of an investment property.
If you require assistance with a second charge mortgage or any other type of property finance please do not hesitate to contact myself and my team using the form below.
Advice and implementation provided by a practising Barrister-At-Law with £10,000,000 of Professional Indemnity InsuranceBook Now
Next Article‘No DSS’ adverts in the private rented sector
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;|
|“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;|
|“personal data”||means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and|
|“We/Us/Our”||Means Property118 Ltd , a limited company registered in England under company number 10295964, whose registered address is 1st Floor, Woburn House, 84 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4AB.|
|Name of Cookie||Purpose||Strictly Necessary|
|JSESSIONID||Used only to collect performance data, with any identifiable data obfuscated||No|
|__cfduid||This cookie is strictly necessary for Cloudflare's security features and cannot be turned off.||Yes|
|Name of Cookie||First / Third Party||Provider||Purpose|
|__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|
|_fbp||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|