Jerry Stone

Registered with
Tuesday 22nd September 2015

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 17

Jerry Stone

15:10 PM, 29th March 2021, About 10 months ago

Land Transaction Tax - Welsh Holiday Let?

Reply to the comment left by Joe Robertson at 29/03/2021 - 14:59
You can register for Business rates immediately.

In reference to your question on appeals yes I have won at least one.

send me a email or message with the address and council and I'll have look if you would like?... Read More

Jerry Stone

12:18 PM, 29th March 2021, About 10 months ago

Land Transaction Tax - Welsh Holiday Let?

I think that you could challenge that condition of the Holiday let at appeal.

It is vitally unenforceable and C3 is C3.

Just because you have the permission in place it won't be evoked until you have

finished the works so I don't see how it can be residential when you buy it.

When you have done the conversion then you can register it for Business Rates and claim small business rates relief.... Read More

Jerry Stone

13:01 PM, 7th December 2020, About A year ago

Stamp duty - I do object paying tax that I am not obliged to?

Sylvie is a Stamp Duty expert.

She deals with H.M.R.C. overpayments.... Read More

Jerry Stone

11:43 AM, 12th November 2020, About A year ago

Garden outbuilding for airbnb/short-let regulation?

In addition to additional Council Tax you are also likely to be liable for C.I.L. Community Infrastructure Levey. London is subject to a 90 day restriction on sort term lets as well.

Hope all this helps. Jerry... Read More

Jerry Stone

11:41 AM, 12th November 2020, About A year ago

Garden outbuilding for airbnb/short-let regulation?

This was a resent question sent in to the planning magazine. Q&A below.
Development Management Answers: Are granny annexe rules fair?
5 November 2020 by John Harrison

Q A homeowner wants to erect a granny annexe in his garden.....

..... This needs permission because it contains primary living accommodation and is therefore not incidental to the enjoyment of the host dwelling. Another homeowner has a detached garage that he wishes to convert to a granny annexe. This would presumably not need permission. Does this not seem contradictory? JM

A Class E, part 1, schedule 2 of the General Permitted Development Order 2015 as amended relates to buildings required for a purpose incidental to a dwellinghouse as such. If a garage is being altered to create primary living accommodation, for example by replacing its door with a window, that would need planning permission because work is being carried out to a “non-incidental” building. Government technical guidance on permitted development rights for householders advises: “A purpose incidental to a house would not, however, cover normal residential uses, such as separate self-contained accommodation or the use of an outbuilding for primary living accommodation such as a bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen.”

Providing a granny annexe within an existing curtilage building would not normally involve a material change of use, as Uttlesford District Council v Secretary of State for the Environment and White [1992] established. So if converting the garage requires no external alterations, then permission would not be needed.

Conversely, erecting a new building within a dwelling curtilage as a granny annexe would automatically require permission. These provisions do seem to be somewhat contradictory. I presume the “incidental” stipulation in class E is to prevent the erection of “primary” accommodation such as extra bedrooms. While new outbuildings could subsequently be converted to “primary” accommodation, this could only happen after they had been used for incidental purposes for a reasonable period of time.

John Harrison... Read More