Lucy Fryer

Registered with
Thursday 9th June 2016

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 10

Lucy Fryer

12:08 PM, 22nd November 2017, About 4 years ago

Ex tenant still using our address

It seems you have two issues, 1. the money your ex tenant owes you and 2. the use of your address. I suggest you approach a debt collector - I have used "Jack Russell" before successfully. They are extremely good at finding "disappeared" people and can get hold of information not available to the rest of us. It doesn't cost much - £125 for tracing someone. You can then chase the ex-tenant for the rent arrears AND notify all the (probable) other creditors of the ex-tenant's new address. Even if you don't get your arrears, when people realise that they can be found after all, it may mean they behave better in the future - a service to all of us.
With regard to the company, I believe, but am not sure, that having a PO address at Companies House is against the law, because the whole point is that company directors are supposed to be finable. Might be worth having a conversation with Companies House. Good Luck.... Read More

Lucy Fryer

11:27 AM, 18th October 2017, About 4 years ago

Eviction by Bank for landlord mortgage arrears?

Hi Dorothy,
Here are a couple of suggestions:
a) read this website first: It will tell you what process the mortgage lender is going through to repossess the flat.

b) telephone the landlord - if you don't know their number and the letting agent won't tell you, go to which will tell you the owner's name and contact details.
c) Ask the landlord what the situation is with the mortgage arrears. Find out how far down the process they are. Has, there, for instance been a court hearing yet. Knowing where the landlord is in that process will tell you how long you (and they) have before the flat is repossessed.

d) Offer to buy the flat. If you can buy quickly (cash buyer?), haggle hard. If the owner gets repossessed, not only will they not get a proper market value when the property is sold, but they will also have lots of legal/repossession costs deducted by the bank from any proceeds realised.

e) If you cannot buy it quickly, contact someone who can (like me) and agree that THEY will buy the flat from the landlord and sell it on to you a little later once you have sorted out finance. The middle buyer will, of course, want to take an element of profit for their trouble.

f) Put everything you have discussed in writing. (If your original offer to buy the flat was not in writing the letting agent may not have forwarded it on to the seller).

g) write to the mortgage lender (and get the landlord to do so too) setting out your plan for purchase and timescales.

h) Telephone the mortgage lender - get the actual person responsible for the flat and persuade them to give you some time to get things sorted.

Allow the vendor to get repossessed and then buy the flat on the cheap when it is remarketed, but you will have to find somewhere else to live in the meantime....... Read More

Lucy Fryer

20:42 PM, 17th September 2017, About 4 years ago

Renting to Charity - Church

Don't let to the Church! The Church of England is the largest and most corrupt (apart from the catholic church) institution of our day. Don't give them a helping hand in any way.... Read More

Lucy Fryer

9:52 AM, 15th June 2017, About 4 years ago

Doing a deal with a tenant who is in arrears?

Hi Bridget
It sounds a bit to me as if the tenant is accustomed to successfully stringing you along. I think you need to issue a Section 21, whereby you don't need to give any reason to evict. (If you issue one of the other eviction notices on grounds of non-payment then if he pays I think you may have to start again...? And it's easier for the tenant to argue the toss in court. Check with others more knowledgeable than me on that one!). The point is there's no arguing with a Section 21. Yes, you have to wait 2 months.

BUT say something along the lines of "I am now serving you with a Section 21 notice, since I need to cover my back." (Make sure you do it properly!! And don't accept pleas that he will pay - because he'll pay now and then fail to pay again in the future). Then add "If you fail to pay rent arrears, or fail to leave the flat BY the appointed date, I will have to take you to court and we will then both have a nasty time for some time to come. However, I am also now giving you the opportunity to sign a "Tenancy Surrender" agreement. If you sign this and leave within x number of days/weeks, I will waive your outstanding rent."

That way, you will minimise your losses. You avoid the hassle (and expense) of court proceedings. And at least some of your losses can hopefully be covered by the deposit.

I'm afraid that I'm no expert. the NLA (National Landlords' Association) advice line is great. As is that for the RLA. Good luck.... Read More

Lucy Fryer

14:13 PM, 28th April 2017, About 5 years ago

How to use CGT allowance when you don't sell your properties?

Hi Mark
Can you gift bits of property to your children, if the children are under 18 years old please?
Lucy... Read More