Sami Houmrani

Registered with
Wednesday 4th May 2016

Cobham Surrey

Trading Status

Providing essential rental accommodation since

Number of rental properties owned
11 –20

Insures properties through a broker recommended by Property118

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 45

Sami Houmrani

17:11 PM, 13th November 2018
About 4 days ago

Panorama - The Universal Credit Crisis

There’s a bit of an ostrich situation that develops – you put your head in the sand and it will go away. It won’t go away, the rent has to be paid. However, it also needs to be recognised that landlords cannot run their businesses at a loss.... Read More

Sami Houmrani

22:05 PM, 11th July 2018
About 4 months ago

Slightly complicated termination question?

It is very important for a landlord to ensure they abide by the terms of the contract signed by both parties. There may only be a verbal contract but an investigation is required to establish the terms and conditions. This could be terms displayed in the agent’s office or advertised on their website.

Dis-instructing an agent does not affect the agreement made between the landlord and the tenant which in the majority of cases will be an AST. The AST will continue on the same terms unless the landlord or the tenant gives notice, there is a mutual decision to end the contract or the tenancy is ended by a court order.

Most contracts with agents are binding while the tenant (found by the agent) remains in occupation and there may be a penalty if terminating early. If the landlord is deemed to be “acting as a consumer” he or she will have the protection of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999/2083 (“UTCCR”). This legislation gives greater protection to consumers. An unfair term may be deemed unenforceable even if the disadvantaged party signed a contract where the offending term was expressly stated. It is further worth noting that the entire contract will not be deemed invalid; only the unfair term. The exception will be the unusual circumstance where the removal of the unfair term renders the remainder of the contract incapable of performance.

If an agent is refusing to release you from the contract, or there are not clear terms on how to dis-instruct them legal advice should be sought. Dealings with the agent should be factual and it is vital that the tenant is made aware of your intentions. Do not discuss the reasons for dis-instruction with the tenant; simply explain that future dealings and rent payment should be paid either to the landlord or to a new agent.

It is vital that the deposit is protected at all times.

In the majority of cases, especially full management, the agent would have taken the deposit and registered it with one of the approved schemes in accordance with the legislation. All paperwork and anything concerning the let should be returned to the Landlord together with all rent monies (minus any unpaid commission due to the agent). The deposit is the tenants money and therefore cannot be returned unless:

There is authority from the tenant that the agent may transfer the deposit to the landlord; this could be by way of a letter or going into the agent’s office
and the landlord has re-registered the deposit with a relevant scheme and can show proof of this to the agent.

The prescribed information relating to the new deposit protection should then be sent to the tenant and appropriate proof obtained, certificate of posting or signature from the tenant is best.... Read More

Sami Houmrani

12:33 PM, 2nd July 2018
About 5 months ago

Government look to throw landlords under the bus with 3 year tenancies

The industry is just contaminated and it’s extremely difficult to entirely avoid collision. You’ll need to do a pile of research before spending a penny, and then continue to keep your ear to the ground because new nonsensical laws are regularly being introduced.... Read More

Sami Houmrani

15:22 PM, 28th June 2018
About 5 months ago

New 'How to Rent' Guide!

Reply to the comment left by Chris Daniel at 28/06/2018 - 08:12“A copy of the current Gas certificate is the most important to ensure is given Before a tenancy starts ( and be able to prove ) as it seems to be a ' do it or never use Section 21 ' situation.“
Always it’s good practice to tick all the boxes. Reduce the risk of problem tenants. Buy to let properties are big investments so you don't want to take any unnecessary risks.... Read More

Sami Houmrani

14:40 PM, 28th June 2018
About 5 months ago

"How to Rent Guide" for new tenancies from 26th June

The best practice is you can email the guide to your tenants, but to ensure it is properly served you must:

1) Ask your tenant to confirm in writing the correct email address to use.

2) Attach the guide to the email as a PDF; emailing the link is not sufficient.

3) Keep a copy of 1) and 2) safely archived in case it is required later.... Read More