Hammersmith and Fulham Discretionary Licensing

Hammersmith and Fulham Discretionary Licensing

9:38 AM, 21st September 2017, About 7 years ago 2

Text Size

Hammersmith & Fulham have confirmed that they have just launched a discretionary licensing scheme. Nearly all privately rented properties in the borough need to be licensed.

They have released two new licensing schemes in addition to the mandatory licensing scheme.

The three types of property licences are as follows:

Mandatory licensing
This applies to houses in multiple occupation, which must:
• comprise three or more storeys (for guidance on storeys please refer to Statutory Instrument 371 The Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Prescribed Descriptions) (England) Order 2006).
• be occupied by five or more people and two or more households (A household can be a couple, one person or several people provided they are all members of the same family, including half-relatives, foster children etc.). However, an individual with five friends is not a single household, but six.
• share either a bathroom, kitchen, shower or toilet.

Additional licensing
This applies to houses in multiple occupation, which must:
• comprise three or more persons who form two or more households
• share either a bathroom, kitchen, shower or toilet.

Selective licensing
This is applied to all private rented properties on certain designated streets, please see list of streets attached.
For more information on our property licensing schemes, application, frequently asked questions and answers and list of streets that have been designated under selective licensing, please visit the Hammersmith and Fulham’s website: www.lbhf.gov.uk/propertylicences

To apply for the licence you will need to pay a fee online www.lbhf.gov.uk/propertylicences
You will need the following information:
• Freeholder details
• Mortgage details
• Leaseholder details
• Contact details for all interested parties
• Limited companies – Companies House registration number
• Number of people living at the property, their names and tenancy start dates
• Room sizes
• Fire safety details: provision of fire doors, smoke alarms etc. If you do not have fire safety provision please say “None”, “0” or answer as appropriate.
• Your membership number, if you’re a member of a landlord association or the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme (LLAS).

Documentation you may be required to upload online:

• Gas certificate: If your property has a gas supply, you’ll need to supply a copy of the most up to date gas safety certificate.
• Property plan: For mandatory or additional licences only, please find enclosed a template which illustrates the level of detail required.

For more information please feel free to contact us non the form below.

Contact Sherrelle for offline Universal Credit advice

Sherrelle is an independent consultant and is recommended by Property118 for landlords who require professional advice and assistance in regards to dealing with Universal credit related matters

Share This Article


Ross Tulloch

13:40 PM, 21st September 2017, About 7 years ago

So this will lead to lots of very happily inhabited rooms having to remain permanently empty because they are "not big enough" as deemed by some jobsworth sitting at a desk

terry sullivan

7:51 AM, 23rd September 2017, About 7 years ago

lot of info on-line---seems ripe for abuse? has ICO approved this info?

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now