Eirian Rogers

Registered with Property118.com
Tuesday 30th July 2013

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 4

Eirian Rogers

17:10 PM, 19th October 2013, About 8 years ago

Annual Inspection Certificates for HMOs - Am I on the right Track?

Re PAT Certificate, firstly you have to do your course and pass although that is fairly easy, secondly you would need appliance testing insurance to cover you if someone killed themselves on an appliance you had passed. and Thirdly you not only need to purchase the tester but you need to have it calibrated every year so as to not invalidate your insurance in point 2. all in all i would rather pay a few quid for a decent electrician to do it for me as he is likely to be on site at least once a year anyway. p.s. the pat testing handbook actually says that certain appliances only have to be tested 2-5 yearly but everyone seams to ignore this.

Annual Smoke Alarm Test, it sounds like you have a domestic system without a central control point amusing this your electrician (if he knows what he is doing) can fill in a fire alarm certificate 6 monthly/yearly for you. it should be a certificate not a letter to have any value in protecting you as a landlord and will probably be a requirement of your building insurance anyway. The "blowing smoke" at the detector is an aerosol can called "canned smoke" purchased for £7 from the electrical wholesalers. 🙂

Emergency Lighting, needs a 5 min test every month a 1 hour discharge every 3- 6 months and a 3 hour every year to fully test them. To produce a proper certification on them an electrician will also need to check the wiring behind them that they are still correctly located and the the casing is not damaged in any way. again i cant see why any electrician would want or need to do a letter to confirm that he had tested because all the electrical bodies provide their electricians with certificates to fill in that will comply with your buildings insurance requirements.

In conclusion i think you do need / it's more economical for you to get a qualified electrician in to do all three for you really. I know i do on mine and i worked as a PAT tester and fire alarm engineer for 3 years, it's just cheaper that keeping all my kit and insurances up to date. I would also use an electrician the is registered with the NIC or ECA as they will know all about it and be able to provide you with the correct certificates.... Read More

Eirian Rogers

15:56 PM, 30th July 2013, About 8 years ago

Electrics tripping issue

I worked at an electrical firm for 3 years (albeit not as a sparky) and if your electrician has tested the fixed wiring to be safe then I would lay lots of money on this being an appliance testing issue.

May be a kettle or toaster, heater etc. quite often i have seen it that it trips when the base of the kettle gets a little wet so will only happen once in a blue moon.

Hope this helps... Read More

Eirian Rogers

17:09 PM, 29th April 2013, About 8 years ago

Scope of Environmental Health - to incetivise tenants ??

Hi Gilly,

If you manage to find anything useful when you look it up please post the link.

This issue is very similar to the issue i am having I have lots of sympathy for you Zahir I just hope we can find a solution.

I am so used to the lettings business to working from rules and regulations where these Environmental Health Departments just seam to make it up as they feel fit.

We have no one to take it to unless we want to hassle of a full on court case.... Read More

Eirian Rogers

13:41 PM, 27th April 2013, About 8 years ago

Electrical safety and conditions reports - Landlords Question


As far as i am aware the regulations that apply is the electrical safety at work regulations.

The electrical safety council recommended every 5 years or on change of tenancy (most people ignore the change of tenancy bit)

I have tried and never found anything in the regulations that specifically say a landlord has to get their electrics checked (HMO's yes but normal domestic rentals no) but there is a Duty of Care for a landlord to ensure the electrics are safe and how can you know for sure that they are safe unless you have them tested?

Hope this helps... Read More