Registered with Property118.com
Sunday 19th July 2015

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 3


18:12 PM, 28th January 2019, About 3 years ago

Newly converted flat has 1 inch gaps?

Reply to the comment left by Christopher Marsden at 21/01/2019 - 17:28
I've just measured the gap that I can get access to and the measurement to be more exact is 1.7cm so not quite an inch but there are other parts of the wall I can't get to where the gap does look slightly bigger. Do you know how much is normal timber shrinkage?... Read More


17:47 PM, 28th January 2019, About 3 years ago

Newly converted flat has 1 inch gaps?

Thanks all for your replies. I am unable to attach pictures to show you what it looks like. I have since written to the freeholder who is basically reiterating what the builder has said but has referred to them as "professional advisors".

The problem is in the room which is a new extension so they have had to lay down new flooring with the joist timbers. This was the FH's reply:

With regard to the gap between the skirting board and the floor along the south-east corner wall, the structural detailing has been double checked. This is a new element of structure with 2.0m foundations and new brickwork. We believe
that there are no signs of cracking or movement externally. The new internal floor is constructed using traditional suspended floor structure. The floor joists are 200 x 50 c24 tanalised soft wood members. The floor deck is 19mm WBP ply which has been screw fixed. This is a perfectly sound structural make up and is not considered to be defective. My advisors feel that the gap between the bottom of the skirting board and the floor surface is nothing more than natural shrinkage. They do not consider it to be a structural issue. In terms of remedy, if the gap is unsightly, it can either be filled or the skirting board lowered.

I haven't replied yet but it certainly cannot be filled because at the start of my investigations that was the solution I was looking for and the man in the DIY shop happened to be a timber specialist and when I showed him the photos he basically said there was something else going on and no filler would fill that gap! My brother being an architect thinks it is movement in the joists and despite the SE drawings looking all good it's likely to be defective building work. I suppose my best course of action is to raise this with the FH again and highlight the seriousness of this and ask that she investigates further? The contract with the builder is with the FH. She retains 3 of the flats in the builder and I already know of 2 other leaseholders having the same issue.

Thanks again... Read More


9:56 AM, 29th November 2017, About 4 years ago

SDLT penalising landlords taking the plunge to move out from parents homes!

Hi, I have a similar question....

I lived in Property A up which was my main place of residence until May 2015. I then rented it out and changed my mortgage to buy-to-let in 2016. During that time I was away then came back and lived in rented accommodation. In Sept 2017 I closed a purchase on a residential property that I now live in and I paid 3% stamp duty.

If I sold Property A would I get that 3% back? If so how long would I have to sell property A, i.e. 3 years from May 2015 (when I rented it out) or 3 years from Sept 2017 (when I purchased my new main place of residence and thereby replacing Property A)?

I also own a third property which is rented out and always has been but not sure if this is relevant...

Thanks for any advice on the above!... Read More