Pauline Anderson

Registered with
Thursday 8th January 2015

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 6

Pauline Anderson

15:38 PM, 20th July 2015, About 6 years ago

How do you get rid of the smell from a heavy smoker?

I use a clean air ioniser. Always found it to be effective and quite fast, but 4 floors will probably take a while.... Read More

Pauline Anderson

14:34 PM, 13th April 2015, About 7 years ago

Pyromaniac elderly neighbour

Hello Gillian

What a difficult, and potentially dangerous situation.

Firstly, a report regarding the vulnerability of this elderly lady can be lodged with the local AGEUK office. It can be done online, or by attending the local office. They, in turn, should alert the SAFEGUARDING VULNERABLE ADULTS department of social services. If there is no family, there may well be a solicitor, advocate or power of attorney nominated and social services are in a position to clarify this.

Secondly, there should be fire services reports on the causes of the fires. If the causes were attributed to numerous candles in the elderly lady's home, I am surprised that the fire service have not alerted the relevant services.

Thirdly, most areas now have a MASH which is a mult-agency safeguarding hub. The purpose of MASH is to bring together all relevant organisations to deal with a specific problem/person. It might be worthwhile checking with the police and fire services if a case has already been initiated regarding this incident. There is a possibility that a case could be opened on the basis of potential reckless endangerment (lighting so many candles and her age and potential slow mobility).

Fourthly, it is very difficult to assess mental capacity because there are many instances of it coming and going. Many elderly people are adept at hiding their vulnerability and inability to make informed decisions. Social services have a duty of care to safeguard vulnerable adults but may try to abdicate responsibility on the basis of the rights of the person having precedence. In which case you need as much agency evidence of the ongoing risk of more fires. If there is sufficient evidence a case could be brought against social services.

I do not have any legal qualifications but have been a voluntary advocate for many vulnerable adults, and been invited to local MASH meetings. I also teach health and social care at degree level. I hope that this is helpful and gives you a starting point.... Read More

Pauline Anderson

0:07 AM, 5th March 2015, About 7 years ago

DPS ADR process any experiences?

If you don't respond and send them what is needed, and if it doesn't support why you should retain the deposit, they will decide to return the deposit to the tenant. I still haven't heard back, but I took my time making sure that my supporting evidence was as it should be.

Like you I don't want to start legal proceedings against mine, they've cost me too much already. It would be like chucking good money after bad. The DPS must have your tenants' forwarding address though, but not sure if they would give it to you.

When you agree to adjudication you also agree to accept the decision of the adjudicator. 'Can the adjudication be appealed?
No. The Adjudicator’s decision is binding and cannot be appealed via the ADR procedure'. So, there is no right to appeal either, which is good if you win, but not if they do. I sincerely hope that you do win.... Read More

Pauline Anderson

17:54 PM, 3rd March 2015, About 7 years ago

DPS ADR process any experiences?

Reply to the comment left by "Carla Lewis" at "03/03/2015 - 17:32":

Have not had an adjudication yet, but tenants have not responded. My deposit was registered with TDS and they have been very helpful. Adjudication takes up to 28 days and it's only been 21, so will wait patiently (not my usual approach). Good luck with yours Alison.... Read More

Pauline Anderson

17:10 PM, 3rd March 2015, About 7 years ago

DPS ADR process any experiences?

I too am having a similar experience. £1300 rent arrears; garden full of kids plastic toys and buggies (2 skips full). I would advise you to respond to DPS , or as Alison stated, you will lose and the deposit will be returned to the tenants.

I raised the dispute: included paymetn schedule of rent payments and amount of arrears; tenancy agreement; included the relevant TA clauses re-rent arrears and the purpose of the deposit (which included it being used to offset rent arrears; and copies of my communications to tenants regarding rent arrears. It is a natural conclusion that the letter, asking for your response, will have been delivered to you.

I do hope you feel better soon, but I doubt that you will if you don't respond to the TDS. Don't let the tenants win.... Read More