Neil P

Registered with
Monday 5th May 2014

Trading Status

Insures properties through a broker recommended by Property118

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 5

Neil P

19:08 PM, 8th August 2019
About 7 months ago

If Students don't provide proof I'll have to pay Council Tax?

Reply to the comment left by Freda Blogs at 07/08/2019 - 13:58
Thank you everyone for your comments, though there's no consensus as to what is right or wrong!

I totally agree with Freda that the J&S option is the best way forward. Their deposits would cover some/all of the rent that hasn't been paid. Failing that a guarantor can be chased for payment, though we've not had to use that yet, thankfully. We've been doing this for 26 years and have never had a bad debt (nor a void for that matter). Maybe we've just been lucky.

On the CT, the Council haven't been tough with me, they just pointed out that I'm liable if the students don't provide proof of their education status. As one poster said, the threat of them being liable for the CT (if only through the AST and not directly with the Council) should be enough to get them to provide the relevant proof.... Read More

Neil P

9:13 AM, 2nd June 2017
About 3 years ago

Tenant wants new AST in order to claim housing benefit?

I had exactly the same request for the same reasons. Given my dodgy tenant I refused. A letter to the council confirming there was an AST and it was now periodic did the trick.... Read More

Neil P

14:33 PM, 5th May 2014
About 6 years ago

Should I sell, mortgage or split?

Nobody has mentioned tax implications on the disposal alternatives? Surely that could have a huge bearing on the final decision?... Read More

Neil P

18:37 PM, 24th January 2013
About 7 years ago

Should I purchase a dryer in a shared house ?

I had the same dilemma when fitting out an 6 bed HMO...the rent includes all utilities but i didn't want a tumble dryer on all the time at "my" expense - though i thought it was reasonable to provide one for their convenience and to avoid condensation. I looked at coin-operated machines but they were very expensive (geared for launderettes) i did some research and found using a normal tumble dryer attached to a coin meter fitted the bill. It cost £124 plus fitting (it had to be hard wired by a qualified electrician).

Have a look at I bought a TIM30.

It's worked superbly. Tenants are happy to pay £1 for an hour - they recognise they cost a lot to run and have never questioned it. So we're all happy :-)... Read More

Neil P

18:49 PM, 26th November 2012
About 7 years ago

Tenant being held on remand - what should I do?

In a past life I worked as FD for a glass company who also did glazing. The police called us out for broken windows etc which we boarded up, often in the middle of the night. We would raise an invoice on the owner and chase for payment...which was sometimes paid, either by the owner or their insurance company. If no payment was made we wrote the debt off...we had no contract with the owner so couldn't chase payment legally. It was a numbers game...enough paid to make it worthwhile. Plus a lot of the people used us for the repair work. So don't pay for the board up, they won't chase you for long. ... Read More