Peter G

Registered with
Saturday 24th March 2018

Trading Status

Providing essential rental accommodation since

Insures properties through a broker recommended by Property118

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 33

Peter G

14:52 PM, 20th February 2020
About 2 hours ago

Review of Council Tax rule for HMOs - Petition

Reply to the comment left by LANDLORD 35 at 17/02/2020 - 14:58If each tenant paid the CT for their room, then how did the VOA re-value the main house, now that all the bed rooms were charged separately?  Did the landlord's bill drop a band or two?... Read More

Peter G

17:51 PM, 7th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Summerhouse, Annex, Studio? Could I rent to a lodger?

A council tax charge is very likely. The text below is copied from

Council Tax bands and annexes
If the VOA determines that your property contains more than 1 area of separate living accommodation, you may find you’re charged for more than one Council Tax band.

The VOA is required by law to apply a separate Council Tax band to every:

“building, or part of a building, which has been constructed or adapted for use as separate living accommodation”

The operational instructions followed when applying this can be found in Practice note 5: disaggregation of dwellings in the VOA’s Council Tax manual.

“A family adapts two rooms in their house so that a relative is able to live with them. This includes installing kitchen appliances and a toilet and shower and also creating a single entrance to the new annexe. As a separate area of living accommodation this annexe would normally require its own Council Tax band.”

The VOA will make a decision on every case based on the specific nature of the construction and / or adaptation of the property, such as:

independent access to, or access from, a hallway, landing or other common area
its own facilities for sleeping and preparing food
washing facilities and a toilet
Only physical features are considered when deciding whether or not an additional area of living accommodation exists within a domestic property, not how it’s used. A separate Council Tax band is still required if an area of a house, flat or other domestic property which could be occupied separately is vacant.

If you have an annexe you may be entitled to relief from the local authority. Contact your local authority for more information.

Accommodation occupied by tenants wouldn’t be treated as an annexe, but it would still have its own Council Tax band.

Various discounts and exemptions are administered by your local authority (council).

If you’ve removed a separate area of living accommodation by making physical changes to your house, flat or other domestic property, you should contact the VOA. The VOA will only be able to remove a Council Tax band if the area or annexe has been sufficiently altered so that it could no longer be lived in separately.

The VOA is unable to give specific advice on any planned changes to a property. They can only explain how relevant Council Tax regulations are applied.

If you think your property has incorrectly been given an additional Council Tax band, you have the right to appeal that decision.... Read More

Peter G

13:21 PM, 5th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Court Case re HMO rooms being deemed to be Band A Council Tax Dwellings

Reply to the comment left by Harlequin Garden at 05/02/2020 - 11:00The Council's behaviour is puzzling, and if it contradicts the VOA assessment then definitely the VOA should be brought in. In my opinion (this is not advice) until the VOA have confirmed the status of your property and specified which charges are valid no charges should be paid (unless your solicitor advised they should be "paid under protest" to avoid additional fines). Could PossessionFriend or Landlord Action help you?... Read More

Peter G

9:36 AM, 1st February 2020
About 3 weeks ago

Sexual favours, no cuppa and fake emergencies

If a tradesperson is charging by the hour then they must be paid for their time even if this is just putting the bins out. However, customers should not be keeping them longer for such jobs if this makes the tradesperson late for their next job.... Read More

Peter G

10:59 AM, 25th January 2020
About 4 weeks ago

Serving Section 21 during fixed term - right or wrong?

My recollection of the S21 regulations is that selling the property is one of the valid reasons for termination of the tenancy, but requires the landlord to give 2 months notice at any time. Is that right?... Read More