Tom Chapman

Registered with
Friday 16th March 2018

Landlords Insurance, Rent Guarantee Insurance

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 5

Tom Chapman

9:59 AM, 20th August 2018, About 3 years ago

HMO tenant barricaded room and started £80,000 fire

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear of your situation. My understanding is that a HMO would normally indicate that it is a Bedsit. So seems strange that this is what LV are querying. It would be interesting to see a copy of the policy wording and LV's definition of a HMO.

Is there another underlying issue/non disclosure of information to them which could make them reject the claim?

If they do reject the claim, then I would certainly speak to the Ombudsman. Might be worth speaking to them now

The Loss Assessor should be working for you and your best interests as you appointed him.

If the Claim is successful then you can claim for the Loss of Rent and alternative accommodation.
With the Tenants living in the Tents, I would not be comfortable with them going in and out of the property to collect belongings if the building is not safe.
I would have a conversation with tenants regarding rent and it will depend on how long the property is uninhabitable for. If repairs are going to take 2 weeks then im sure they would be fine but if repairs are going to take 6 months. Are they going to be happy paying rent living in a tent in the middle of December with no heating.... Read More

Tom Chapman

9:10 AM, 10th August 2018, About 4 years ago

Reinstatement insurance valuation every 2 years?

Derek, Who is requesting that you carry out the reinstatement valuation?
Usually if the insurers requires to carry out a survey to get a reinstatement cost it is that their cost.
Surveys are only usually requested for high rebuild costs and then are not required again for 5 years and the reinstatement cost will just be index linked for that period.... Read More

Tom Chapman

8:47 AM, 20th July 2018, About 4 years ago

Leak from flat upstairs - Please help?

Reply to the comment left by DALE ROBERTS at 19/07/2018 - 21:52
You should have been able to claim for the resultant damage from the water leak.
Think Zurich were a little harsh with you to be fair and should have taken the Emergency situation into account.
Carpets are classed as contents, so if you only buildings insurance then these would not have been covered.... Read More

Tom Chapman

13:58 PM, 17th July 2018, About 4 years ago

Leak from flat upstairs - Please help?

Reply to the comment left by Ed Tuff at 17/07/2018 - 13:45
Unfortunately that is what your insurance is there to do and reason you should take out the right cover whether you are the leaseholder, Freeholder or Tenant.
Most Leaks are due to Wear & Tear rather than a deliberate act or Negligence... Read More

Tom Chapman

10:57 AM, 17th July 2018, About 4 years ago

Leak from flat upstairs - Please help?

Hi Vincent,
You are in a difficult position.
Who owns the Freehold to the Block of Flats? My Advice would be to speak to them as essentially it is their responsibility to ensure that the buildings are in a good condition and any on going leak could cause substantial damage to their property.
Any subsequent damage to your flat from the leak can be claimed under the buildings insurance or contents insurance you have. Your Insurers could then try and claim back from the flat above if he is found to have caused the leak. This will also speed up the repairs to your flat.... Read More