Terry Lo

Registered with Property118.com
Sunday 5th February 2017


Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 5

Terry Lo

17:36 PM, 23rd February 2017
About 4 years ago

Time to bail but I have a Council notice of improvement?

Just by way of update, the council tenant has suggested that when we reach mid march that she has a new tenancy agreement in place.

She didn't specify why, but alluded to the council needing some form of agreement, which I suggested she contact the council to send me written explanation behind this.

My preference is to move onto a rolling periodic monthly contract (which I presume does not require a new form to be signed etc) and this will allow flexibility from my side if I decide to sell.

As there is no formal notice of improvement is there any risk that this can be seen as a revenge action (I.e. if I decide not to renew or issue an AST contract?)

Assuming the tenant does have a credible/legit reason for renewing the AST lease hopefully a 6 month AST would appease the council...however playing devil's advocate what if I pushed for a new lease with a 10% rental increase, which I. don't believe the tenant could afford but the rise is modest...would this be seen as a revenge behaviour to push her out? Not sure if the "revenge" angle still applies since there is no formal notice of improvement.

Thanks in advance... Read More

Terry Lo

13:18 PM, 7th February 2017
About 4 years ago

Time to bail but I have a Council notice of improvement?

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly tread very cautiously and 100% will not be issuing the section 21 this month.

Got off a call with the council and what confused me is the opening letter specified timelines for remedial action but when I spoke to him he said this is not an improvement notice!!!

He is comfortable that I am engaging/ being responsive and mentioned it would not necessarily progress down the more formal route of an improvement notice as long as I keep him in the loop.

I will get the heating fixed (they still have the temporary heaters) but will hopefully close this in the next few weeks.

I will let the contract run to a natural end mid March and then issue section 21 after that giving a two month notice period.

If I tread cautiously with the tenant and council I might just get lucky...will revert back next month!... Read More

Terry Lo

8:02 AM, 7th February 2017
About 4 years ago

Time to bail but I have a Council notice of improvement?

P.s. I am popping over to the flat this Friday to meet with a tradesman heater, that's why I potentially wanted to give the section 21 on that same day but simply date the form to coincide with the 14th of a given month.... Read More

Terry Lo

7:55 AM, 7th February 2017
About 4 years ago

Time to bail but I have a Council notice of improvement?

Thanks I will give London Tenant Evictions a call for advice however I was thinking of downloading a section 21 template and giving it this Fri 10th Feb and having two copies, where one I kept and the other for the tenant. Both I will require her signature and dated.

Since her contract started 14th March 2016, I am tempted to give the section 21 on 13th Feb 2017 just so it's a clean 2 months from the contract date...am I allowed to give the section 21 on Fri 10th Feb but have her date these according to the 13th Feb 2017 just so the monthly cycle is cleaner (or is this just unnecessary)?

Hopefully by having her sign on my copy of the section 21 then she cannot deny reading either copy.

The cost varied from £350 to a complete change yo central heating (3 bedroom split level flat) at £3000. I will definitely comply with the council order before the deadline, but that's it...I don't want any further complexity with selling in tenant situ or having a council notice looming over my head.

Does this council notice have a tangible impact if recorded against the land registry or does this vanish after a period of time?

I'll revert back with the outcome, first thing is to get my ducks in order with section 21 whilst complying with the council order.

I will also discuss with the professionals whether it may be strategically better to just let the full 12 months run out before issuing section 21 (I.e. 13th/14th March 2017) as I may be opening a can of worms if she believes I am trying to evict her prematurely (although it sounds like it is within my right as I have break clause after 6 months)...however just thinking tactically maybe easier to comprehend a section 21 if issued after the full 12 month AST ends (from the tenant's perspective).... Read More

Terry Lo

20:52 PM, 6th February 2017
About 4 years ago

Time to bail but I have a Council notice of improvement?

Thanks for the response, I had meant to state 30 not 40 days (sorry mobile typed too quickly).

I was dithering as the repair for storage heaters seemed quite unattractive and given I had an inkling I was going to hang up my BTL boots was not committed to making the full repair and instead gave a few "temporary" heaters.

OK I will get the heating sorted to appease the tenant and council. Say I get this rectified by mid march...if the tenancy started 14th March 2016 then when should I issue section 21 please?

Whilst this is not a revenge eviction, the fact is has this appearance...what does it mean in practical terms? Am I unable to serve section 21 even though I have clearly explained to the tenant it is due to my own financial circumstances, I have not even mentioned the council notice to them at all. I just said I will implement the repairs as I will recoup this cost when I come to sell, so I am hopeful they will not object...... Read More