St. Jims

Registered with
Saturday 26th March 2016

Latest Comments

Total Number of Property118 Comments: 38

St. Jims

11:25 AM, 31st July 2021, About 3 months ago

Buying a house with an unapproved loft conversion?

Before putting it on the market, your seller should have obtained a certificate of regularisation, which is where the council visit an illegally converted property and retrospectively approve it (it's slightly different form retrospective planning permission, and may or may not take longer ot obtain, depending on how busy your council housing department is).

Typically, a dodgy loft conversion will be ratified by the council as being fine as long as it is used for light storage only. They might ask you rip out all the plugs, radiators, carpets etc - anything that would make that room a proper dwelling

Go back to the vendor with the truth: the illegal modifications effectively mean that the house can only be sold to a cash buyer. Your only options are to pay cash (possibly at a discount to the agreed price) or pay the higher rates for a specialist lender who will lend against the sorry mess that your vendor has landed you in. Sorry I can't be more positive than that.

It sounds like the vendor has not done enough to prepare this house for sale. There is always another house - good luck.... Read More

St. Jims

7:47 AM, 24th April 2021, About 6 months ago

Deducting interest on someone else’s mortgage?

Reply to the comment left by paul kaye at 23/04/2021 - 17:12
Thanks for your input Paul. You might be right, but may I ask if you're a tax advisor or in a related profession? I ask only to help me qualify your input, rather than question it.... Read More

St. Jims

7:37 AM, 24th April 2021, About 6 months ago

Deducting interest on someone else’s mortgage?

Reply to the comment left by Puzzler at 23/04/2021 - 19:49
Out of the two of us, she was the higher rate tax payer at the time the advice was given, and I was the lower rate.... Read More

St. Jims

7:12 AM, 30th January 2021, About 9 months ago

Can I resolve noisy neighbour issue for my tenant?

If you lose the tenant, tell the couple upstairs that you'll be re-advertising the property with a sign saying "DSS & drummers welcome".

I'm only half-joking. If they're costing you money, give as good as you get. If they don't care about anyone but themselves, find someone similar to them. They'll soon move.... Read More

St. Jims

20:10 PM, 28th August 2020, About A year ago

Westminster online tool encouraging HMO tenants to claim Rent Repayment Orders!

Oh get over yourselves.

Westminster Council's tool would not hurt a law-abiding landlord, so who could reasonably object?

This site is cheapened by this sort of breathless and manipulative marketing. I doubt I'll be coming back. Don't you have editors? It's hard enough being a landlord without being lumped in with this sort of self-pitying claptrap.

There are rules. There will always be rules. You won't like some of those rules, but you can still make money.

Grow up.... Read More