Alternative Payment Arrangements

Alternative Payment Arrangements

9:01 AM, 11th December 2018, About 4 years ago

Text Size

Caridon Landlord Solutions and Caridon Property understands that setting up Alternative Payment Arrangements can help tenants claiming Universal Credit if they are experiencing difficulties.

Find out how you can support your tenants today.

Help with paying housing costs

In most cases Universal Credit is paid to the claimant, and it’s up to them to pay their rent themselves. However, in some circumstances housing costs can be paid straight to the landlord, if this is needed to help a claimant manage their household costs. In Scotland, claimants who have an online Universal Credit account can choose this option themselves. To find out more see What landlords need to do

If a claimant’s Universal Credit payment doesn’t cover all of their housing costs they may be able to get extra help from their local authority through a discretionary housing payment

Universal Credit claimants may also be eligible for a reduction in their Local Council Tax. They can start the process to apply for Local Council Tax Reduction on GOV.UK. It will take them to their local council’s website, which will tell them what they need to do.

New Universal Credit claimants should apply for Local Council Tax Reduction straight away, as many local councils will not backdate it. They do not need to wait until their claim for Universal Credit has been approved or paid.

Watch this video for an overview of what landlords need to know about Universal Credit and what you can do to support and advise your tenants:

Contact Sherrelle for offline Universal Credit advice

Sherrelle is an independent consultant and is recommended by Property118 for landlords who require professional advice and assistance in regards to dealing with Universal credit related matters

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now