You’re in Charge…

7:56 AM, 12th December 2017

You’re in Charge…

You’re in Charge…

You are now the Prime Minister/President/Absolute Monarch/Dictator of the United Kingdom…

Your task is to restore the nation’s finances, to create sound economic foundations, and to ultimately break the current self-defeating cycle of:

reduced tax yields -> higher tax rates to regenerate public services -> stultified economy -> further reduced tax yields -> even higher tax rates to regenerate further depleted public services -> further stultified economy -> further reduced tax yields -> etc etc etc… and to thus avert the disastrous “reforms” of truly appalling politicians, such as George Osborne and Jeremy Corbyn,

How will you set about generating the sustainable, long-term prosperity that Britain needs to support itself, to fund essential public services, and for its people to be as happy as they can be with their lot in life?

Gareth Wilson

Comments

Richard U

14:53 PM, 15th December 2017

Think I am going to change my handle: 'The last centre-ground landlord'. 🙂

Lindsey

17:56 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Richard U at 15/12/2017 - 14:19
You may be surprised to find that I agree with Universal Income (although I have not yet seen any reasonable proposal to fund it). It would remove resentment among hard-working low paid people towards those who choose not to work. Everyone gets basics. Beyond that, you need to work for it.

Lindsey

17:57 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Richard U at 15/12/2017 - 14:01
Richard - that's a little too Communist for me. If everything I had worked for went back into the state at death, I would not have accomplished half of what I have done. I have less interest for myself than for my family.

Richard U

19:20 PM, 15th December 2017

Communist? Now I have heard it all. I am promoting meritocracy, hard work through capitalism. Few people like taxes. Who better to pay than those who don’t feel the pain?

Lindsey

19:34 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Richard U at 15/12/2017 - 19:20
No, I promote meritocracy; reward and advancement through achievement and ability, as opposed to any form of class privilege. I'm surprised this is the first time anyone has suggested a Communist slant to your proposals; after all, you're suggesting you cannot really own something as a reward for your hard work. If you own it, it is yours to pass on as you see fit.

Richard U

19:49 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Lindsey Sharratt at 15/12/2017 - 19:34
Mmm not sure that you can really follow that line of logic without removing all tax and besides only Pharoahs believed they got value from their wealth after their demise.

We’ve probably done this to death (excuse the pun) Assume apart from this policy I have your vote? Did I mention I will offer free beer?

Mark Alexander

19:53 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Richard U at 15/12/2017 - 19:49
Well at least you've added in the free beer part.

In regards to your inheritance proposals, just suppose you give everything to your kids today and die tomorrow. Who then pays any IHT due, or wouldn't their be any under your proposals?

Richard U

20:00 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Mark Alexander at 15/12/2017 - 19:53
None due. Mark how much of your wealth have you gifted to your children?

Mark Alexander

20:02 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Richard U at 15/12/2017 - 20:00
Based on your policy, absolutely every last penny. However, the document will not be dated until the day before I pop my clogs.

You fell right into my trap, thank you LOL.

Cheers by the way, and thanks for the free beer 🙂

Lindsey

20:06 PM, 15th December 2017

Reply to the comment left by Richard U at 15/12/2017 - 19:49
I don't drink beer, but I'll take a glass of Prosecco with you. We probably are wearing it out and I think the truth lies on middle ground. There is a certain level of tax that will be supported, and beyond that you remove motivation. But then I am a consultant and a research psychologist, not a professional landlord; and I understand the proportion of human motivation that lies with ownership, and the ability to protect and support progeny.

You have my vote on Universal Income, if it's supported by a feasible economic plan.

1 4 5 6